PDA

View Full Version : Matching new walnut to old

Scott C. Williams
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
I have a walnut dresser that the top was split and a new piece of walnut was added replacing that which was removed. What can be done to match the new walnut with the existing walnut? It is a strip approx. 2" X 48".
Thanks

John Keeton
07-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Time. Eventually, the new walnut will lighten and blend, unless the old walnut has been dyed/stained, or has a different finish.

Scott Holmes
07-23-2009, 8:43 PM
You didn't tell us how it was different. Too dark? too light? Sap wood?

If it's too dark a day in the sun will lighten it a bit.

Scott C. Williams
07-23-2009, 9:50 PM
The original wood has a slight reddish color or sheen and lighter then the new walnut.

John Keeton
07-23-2009, 9:58 PM
Scott, has the whole top been refinished? If the finish is the same on the old and new, eventually it should blend. There is the possibility that some of it is air dried and some kiln dried. Sometimes those will not end up the same color.

Scott Holmes
07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Sun tan the new unless it's already installed on the top. If that's the case give it time. It will blend.

Scott C. Williams
07-24-2009, 8:06 AM
I haven't stripped the top finish yet. I have removed the finish from the rest of the dresser and and it appeared that the wood was never stained only varnished. The wood that has been added was air dried not kiln dried.

John Keeton
07-24-2009, 8:51 AM
Scott, I am a little confused. Apparently the top still has finish on it, but did you add unfinished new wood? If that is the case, did you glue it to the existing wood? That might add something to my thoughts.

Scott C. Williams
07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes, John I addded new wood prior to removing the exsiting finish. I have yet to remove this finish. If I sun tan the top would it be better to remove the original finish in hopes that the two woods would blend together better?

John Keeton
07-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Removing the finish for that purpose is probably not going to make a difference, but I would be inclined to cover the older portions of the top to avoid further lightening of the older wood. This is a tough call without pics!

You did not say whether the new wood has been glued, but another issue here is whether you will get shrinkage on the new wood sufficient to leave a noticeable edge at the glue line. The older wood is acclimated, but the new wood may not be. Adding new wood to an old piece is always problematic.

I would be inclined to strip the finish, shade the older wood with a light colored or white covering so as to not build up heat. Suntan the new strip for several hours, and see what you have. Hopefully, the new wood and old wood are still flush (mate well) and the color has lightened some. Much more color change will occur over time.

Then, complete the overall refinishing process.

Scott C. Williams
07-25-2009, 5:27 AM
Thanks everone for your input. I am going to do what John suggested, stripping, masking then sun tanning the top.

Charles Neil
07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
scott, walnut lightens as it ages, as does any wood that has the "nut" in it, very old walnut will almost turn yellow, here in lies your secret, completely sand the top to raw wood, then apply a yellow or amber dye ( sounds nuts i know), then a light walnut stain, Mohawk finishes has a dye called light walnut that is excellent, and using the yellow under it as a first coat then the light walnut will do it, another and easier alternative is minwax golden oak, it helps walnut alot, especially if the walnut is steamed and has the really dark , almost purple look to it..but the dyes are better