PDA

View Full Version : HSS vs V10 vs PM steel and sharpeness

Terry Gerros
07-23-2009, 9:22 AM
I am under the impression that you can get a better edge on HSS compared to V10 or PM steel therefore you should use HSS for better finishing cuts. Curious to know if this is really true and why that might be.

Ralph Lindberg
07-23-2009, 9:48 AM
Terry
Have you read Alan Lacer's (and his co-author whose name I am forgetting, but he has a Doctorate in Materials) article in Amercian Woodturner Journal on this subject?

Basically it's an myth, like the one that HCS can be gotten to a better edge then HSS.

The reality is, while it's easier with HSC then M2, and easier with M2 then V10, etc. But, if you use the right tools, process, etc. You can get as fine an edge with V15 as HSC. It takes more time, and things like diamond hones. But you not only get a fine edge, that gives a better finish. You also get an edge that lasts longer.

Terry Gerros
07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Ralph,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I skimmed the article, mostly looking at the pictures....oh does that sound like I am in grade school or what?.....and completely forgot about the article before posting......duh....Jeryl Wright is the coauthor BTW...time to read..

Richard Madison
07-23-2009, 9:22 PM
Using the same wheel and the same jig you really should get virtually the same edge whether it is V10 or an oak stick. However, beyond the basics, YMMV.

Must have another look at that article.