PDA

View Full Version : Antique Oil

Tom Bucanan
07-22-2009, 9:37 PM
I have been using antique oil to finish my bowls. I have had trouble with getting a smooth finish though. I often find small bumps or strings attached to the finish. For any of you that use a film finish, how do you get a smooth coat? What is your procedure?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2009, 9:40 PM
Tom,

I use antique oil and it is one of my favorites.

I wipe some on and keep the bowl wet for about 10 minutes. Then wait about 10 minutes and wipe off any excess.

I repeat the process the next day.

I then wait a week or so and buff it out.

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I do exactly like Ken. I soak the piece until it won't take any more on the first coat. I let it sit 10 to 15 minutes and wipe off excess with a paper towel. I add a coat with a foam brush 24 hrs later and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes then wipe of with a paper towel. I generally put on 3 coats. Sometimes I take a fine synthetic wool and rub it down if I see any nibs on it. I wait a week or two for it to fully cure then buff with tripoli and white diamond. I don't put carnuba wax on as it leaves finger prints all over it when being handled and if it gets like rain on it or water on it it spots.

Mike Lipke
07-23-2009, 7:52 AM
Sounds like you are not wiping it off, or maybe waiting too long to wipe it off, and it is tacky when you do, pulling fibers off your cloth or paper towel.
I can't wait ten minutes, it is too sticky. Love the stuff. Several thin coats are better than one or two thick coats.
I also use the Beall.

Keith Burns
07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I use Minwax antique oil almost 100% of the time. I think I do it different that most but it typically gives me the desired finish which is not a heavy built up gloss but rather a softer, not built up gloss. I rub the oil into the wood, not allowing a build up. Depending on the wood I may put a second coat on, again rubbing it in, not building it up. I may only have to wait an hour or two between coats. I will then let it dry. Again depending on the wood this may take only an hour or two. Then I buff the piece using tripoli, white diamond (not on dark woods) and wax.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Tom - I use a foam brush, saturate the piece, let sit for 1/2 an hour and then apply another saturating coat. Wait for about 15 minutes or so and wipe down with clean cloth and let dry. After 3 or so days to allow wood to cure - buff out. If you want a higher gloss - apply very thin coats with paper towel on top of the 2 saturation coats and allow to dry. Usually let the finish build up to 3 to 5 coats before knocking down any bumps with 400 grit - got to have something to work with!

Toney Robertson
07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't wait ten minutes, it is too sticky. Love the stuff. Several thin coats are better than one or two thick coats.
I also use the Beall.

I am with you Mike. I can't wait ten minutes. I can't even wait five minutes or it is too tacky. On my second coat I put it on and immediately wipe it off. If it is a large piece then I will only do the inside before wiping then I do the outside.

Toney

Dick Strauss
07-24-2009, 11:21 AM
I would do as other suggest...apply a heavy coat...wait a few minutes to let it soak in a bit...and wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

OT-I ran out of my favorite finish (Minwax antique oil) a little while ago. Does anyone know where I can buy MAO other than ordering it through Rockler or Amazon? Lowes carries Minwax products but not the AO.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I haven't used MAO, but I THINK I've seen it at the BORG. Did you check there?

I may have to give it a try. I've switched from tung oil to Wipe On Poly and I'm pretty happy with the finish that gives, if in case you can't find MAO. Give that a try too. WOP reccomendation came from this board. The result is much like tung oil, which I like.

Dick Strauss
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Our local HD does not carry any Minwax products IIRC. Lowes carries Minwax finishes but not the AO. I may have to ask them to special order it or go through Rockler/Amazon the next time they offer free shipping.

steve mcconnell
07-24-2009, 2:04 PM
I found Minwax Antique Oil in my local Ace Hardware. It was one of those combination Ace/Benjamin Moore paint stores, but it was over on the hardware side in with the finishing supplies.

steve

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2009, 2:22 PM
I would do as other suggest...apply a heavy coat...wait a few minutes to let it soak in a bit...and wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

OT-I ran out of my favorite finish (Minwax antique oil) a little while ago. Does anyone know where I can buy MAO other than ordering it through Rockler or Amazon? Lowes carries Minwax products but not the AO.

Dick I get mine at ACE Hardware. They will also order it for me if I need more than they have and it is in in 3 days.

Dick Strauss
07-24-2009, 3:50 PM
Thanks guys:cool:! I'll check with our local Ace store.

Mike Lipke
07-24-2009, 4:20 PM
Believe it or not, I've gotten it at Menard's. HD does not have it.

Roger Wilson
07-24-2009, 5:18 PM
...I have had trouble with getting a smooth finish though. I often find small bumps or strings attached to the finish. For any of you that use a film finish, how do you get a smooth coat? What is your procedure?

Make sure whatever you use to apply the finish (brush, cloth, paper towel, foam brush) is clean. Make sure the mouth of the can or jar is clean as well so that you aren't transferring bits and pieces of dried finish to the applicator.

Vacuum your turning with a brush tip.

Apply your finish coat (see other posts for proper technique for Antique Oil).

When dry sand lightly with 600 grit sandpaper. I've found that steel wool doesn't remove nibs and flatten as well as sandpaper and also leaves lots of steel bit debris.

Vacuum your turning again and apply the next coat. Continue until you've got the look you want.

This has been a reliable technique for me with a number of finish types.