PDA

View Full Version : Engineered Flooring under TS?

Tim Cleary
07-22-2009, 8:34 PM
Hello all!

My wife wants me to finish the shop in such a way that it is a legal bedroom (closet & window) but also looks like it could be used as a bedroom when we sell the house.

My biggest question is flooring. Since it is below grade, I was thinking of using engineered wood floating flooring. If I find hoist the table saw up and install flooring underneath, will it be OK when I put it down?

Or, more generally, has anyone seen floating flooring beneath a table saw? I have a contractor SS, so not the heaviest one - maybe 200 pounds or so? I would think it would be fine, but wanted to see if anyone had any practical experience.

Jason White
07-22-2009, 8:42 PM
It's gonna get really banged up by the time you sell the house.

Perhaps just leave the plywood subfloor bare or cover it with removable tiles until it's time to sell the house. Then, when you sell it (or move out), install the floating floor.

Jason

Hello all!

My wife wants me to finish the shop in such a way that it is a legal bedroom (closet & window) but also looks like it could be used as a bedroom when we sell the house.

My biggest question is flooring. Since it is below grade, I was thinking of using engineered wood floating flooring. If I find hoist the table saw up and install flooring underneath, will it be OK when I put it down?

Or, more generally, has anyone seen floating flooring beneath a table saw? I have a contractor SS, so not the heaviest one - maybe 200 pounds or so? I would think it would be fine, but wanted to see if anyone had any practical experience.

Myk Rian
07-22-2009, 8:45 PM
I would think that using that flooring in a shop might destroy it. Moving tools around could tear the covering up. Why not keep it as it is and put new flooring in if/when you sell.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-22-2009, 8:45 PM
I second Jason's point.

Chip Lindley
07-22-2009, 8:50 PM
You guys were Reading my Mind....

That *Pergo Stuff* does Not like Moisture! Installation below grade must be done to insure that moisture is not wicked up into it from concrete. Usually 2x's and a ply subfloor are laid over a plastic membrane moisture barrier First!

Check the manufacturer's specifications before you Go For It! *Pergo-type* flooring is not cheap. A swollen, deteriorating floor will not add any value to your home, as the wife anticipates!

Perhaps you could appease her this way...use the *sub-floor* for your shop now, and add the *Pergo* later, if the home is to be appraised for re-sale! Shop wear-and-tear will take its toll on the manufactured surface, and it will not be nearly as pristine as you may wish it to be.....later.

Tim Cleary
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks all. I don't actually move my saw around much, but it would probably damage engineered flooring.

Tim

Casey Carr
07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can float an engineered wood floor. At least you couldn't as of last summer when I was exploring my options. Laminate yes, but not engineered wood.

Regardless, if only a laminate floor, I'd wait until you want to sell. Who knows what will happen between now and then, may not end up moving. But it should go down fairly quickly should you decide to move. I would think a day max to put it in. Possibly two if you're slow like me. :)

David Schmaus
07-23-2009, 1:24 AM
I floated engineered wood in my basement last year. Its holding up nice. No problems at all. Just taped all my seams on the VB.

Rich Engelhardt
07-23-2009, 5:51 AM
Hello,

Check your local codes before sinking a lot of money into the basement w/the idea that it can be considered habitable living area.
It's not as simple as having a window & a closet.

Prashun Patel
07-23-2009, 9:06 AM
I think terms are getting confused here:

Engineered hardwood floor is hardwood veneer over a plywood substrate. It can be nailed (fixed) or glued in the tongues (floating). It can be installed below grade.

Pergo is a 'laminate'. It's a veneer over a plywood or mdf substrate, but the veneer is not hardwood (I don't think...). It's never nailed or glued; just clicked together t&g. It can be installed below grade.

Regardless, none will be appropriate under a tablesaw if your goal is to keep it looking like a bedroom.

However, if you go with laminate, it's usually so cost effective that you might be within budget to put down the floor for your shop now, and then when you sell, just replace the floor with new laminate.

Of course, you can always go with wide plank, oiled pine boards. By the time you sell, you will have nice country-style, "antique" wood flooring. ;)

glenn bradley
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd use the shop and then fix the room prior to selling.

George Bregar
07-23-2009, 2:55 PM
I'd use the shop and then fix the room prior to selling. +1. Why do it now? It's a shop. Turn it into a bedroom when you need to.