PDA

View Full Version : TruStone for pens

Jason Solodow
07-22-2009, 8:09 PM
Has anyone tried using the TruStone blanks from PSI? I've done alot of acrylic and plastic pens, but I've had two TrueStone blanks blow on me. One was fine, but when I pressed the tip in the piece split. The other one split completely in half while I was drilling it. My drill press was on the slowest speed (500rpm) and I was feeding it really slow, and backing out frequently to clear debris. I've never had two blanks split like this in one day. Any ideas??

John Grabowski
07-22-2009, 8:42 PM
Do you use epoxy to glue in the tubes or CA? I use epoxy on all acrylics and it makes a huge difference on them. Also, make sure your tools are sharp and turn the speed up once you get it round. That should do it.

Keep us posted.

JG

Peter P. Brown
07-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Has anyone tried using the TruStone blanks from PSI? I've done alot of acrylic and plastic pens, but I've had two TrueStone blanks blow on me. One was fine, but when I pressed the tip in the piece split. The other one split completely in half while I was drilling it. My drill press was on the slowest speed (500rpm) and I was feeding it really slow, and backing out frequently to clear debris. I've never had two blanks split like this in one day. Any ideas??

No experience with the TruStone, but the behavior reminds me of the Dymonwood blanks. The Drill Press episode sounds like heat build up to me. For the Dymonwood, they recommend dripping water into the hole while your drilling to reduce the heat. I ended up drilling half, walking away then completing the hole a few minutes later.

As for the tip...yeah, you've got zero tolerance on non-expanding material. Chamfer the inside of the pen tube with a counterbore and try and get it in as straight as possible. Good luck!

Keith Christopher
07-23-2009, 6:53 PM
I would check the inside of the tubes for debris because of the split when pressing the parts in. They are oressure fit so some expansion is to be expected.

When drilling I have found most of my splitting came from when exiting the piece it grabs. I would check the bit for sharpness. Also use a brad point bit.