PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 735 Planer owners....need help FAST!!

Matt Sollars
07-22-2009, 8:05 PM
Ok, so i just bought this planer from a local home depot for a steal. they said that it was a floor model and then went into storage.

it didn't come with a manual.

thanks guys.

matt

Edit: I got the help I needed. Thanks again.

Mike Henderson
07-22-2009, 8:09 PM
I have the manual in PDF form. You can access it on my web site here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Papers/DeWalt%20DW735%20User's%20Manual.pdf).

I also have the parts list and exploded diagrams if you need them.

Mike

Matt Sollars
07-22-2009, 8:13 PM
i read a little online and tried to feed a small board through....it acted like it didn't want to start feeding it.

am i doing something wrong.

matt

Matt Sollars
07-22-2009, 8:16 PM
i think the ''depth lock'' may be throwing me off.

the board is slightly over 3/4 of and inch.
i set the overall heigh (crank) to 3/4 (taking off about a 1/16)

what should the depth lock be set at?

matt

Myk Rian
07-22-2009, 8:53 PM
It should be set at what you want the final thickness to be.
Change it to 1/2" and put the edge of the board in the front. Crank the handle until the indicator just starts to move, and push the board in till the roller catches it. Don't take more than 1/16" off at a time.

Prashun Patel
07-23-2009, 9:16 AM
Curious how you fared...

Don't rely on the depth gauge. Sneak up on yr thickness in 1/16" or 1/8" increments...

I basically crank the dial down and keep pushing the piece through until it barely triggers the gauge on the front.

One thing that can prevent feeding thru is if the piece is severly cupped on the bottom or if there's anything protruding from the bottom - like pocket screws that haven't been driven flat (DAMHIKT). If that's the case, the rollers can't properly engage...

Chris Konikowski
07-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Go to big blue and have then price match. Then you get a brand new one...

Ok, so i just bought this planer from a local home depot for a steal. they said that it was a floor model and then went into storage.

it didn't come with a manual.

long store short...i've got about an hour to check it out and make sure it's working.

would anyone be willing to call me ASAP and walk me through planing a couple of pieces.

i trust 'the forum' so call asap if you can.
816-248-0386

thanks guys.

matt

Lloyd McKinlay
07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Go to big blue and have then price match. Then you get a brand new one...
A price match is intended for identical merchandise, not a new machine vs a floor model with no manual and possibly other missing parts.

Matt Sollars
07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you all for the help, and a special thanks to the member that called me this morning with more input. You guys are the best.

I bought the 'new' floor model for 349$ from home depot. It was a floor model that got reboxed and shelved for the last 8 months. Tucked away in the rafters.

I did some reading and figured out the basics. The depth lock threw me for a loop, but I get it now. i looked underneath and the blades don't seem all that sharp. I shot DeWalt an email asking them about the blade life. I pointed out that it was a new machine, and should be pristine, but the blades looked, 'scuffed' for some reason. Anyway, I'll hear from them today I suppose.

Thanks.
Matt

Chris Konikowski
07-23-2009, 4:36 PM
A price match is intended for identical merchandise, not a new machine vs a floor model with no manual and possibly other missing parts.
HD has this unit priced at $411 NEW. I understand that this unit is out of stock, but the price in the computer is still the same. That is what I wanted them to pricematch.
Sorry for the misunderstanding...

Matt Sollars
07-23-2009, 6:21 PM
oh, it's no big deal. one HD manager told me that it was ''policy'' for them to NOT match price on clearance items or closeouts and discontinued items. ymmv.

best of luck.
matt

Dick Strauss
07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Chris,
You don't want to confuse the DW734 with the 735. The OP has a 735 that usually runs about $200 more than the 734 at HD.

Chris Konikowski
07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Chris,
You don't want to confuse the DW734 with the 735. The OP has a 735 that usually runs about $200 more than the 734 at HD.
I am referring to the 735. I have a new one still in the box from Lowes....who pricematched the 411 price and beat it by 10%. The only one HD had left was the floor model. I pass Lowes on the way to HD and decided to see if they would match it so I could get a new one. They did. :D
Now my wilton is on sale on Craigslist.... :) Anyone want it? lol...