PDA

View Full Version : Tool Cabinet

Mark Ketelsen
07-22-2009, 6:44 PM
I just finished this tool cabinet. Now I have to open up a wall and create strong enough anchors so that I can hang it and not lay awake at night waiting for the crash.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/tool%20cabinet/front-doors-closed.jpg http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/tool%20cabinet/front-doors-open.jpg http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/tool%20cabinet/front-oblique-2.jpg http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/tool%20cabinet/carcase-joinery.jpg http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/tool%20cabinet/lights.jpg

Sean Hughto
07-22-2009, 6:52 PM
Sweeeeeet!

Billy Chambless
07-22-2009, 6:58 PM
That's one nice cabinet!

John Keeton
07-22-2009, 7:12 PM
My gosh, Mark!! That is one of the nicest tool cabinets I have seen - just fantastic. The detail work is beautiful, great choice in woods and grain match, fantastic dovetails - everywhere! - thru wedged tenons, neat little cubbies, and the list goes on and on.......

Just can't say enough - Oh, love the style as well. Super!

Wayne Wheeling
07-22-2009, 7:27 PM
wow!!!!!!!

Pedro Reyes
07-22-2009, 8:31 PM
I hate you! ;)

That's amazing.

/p

Tony Sade
07-22-2009, 8:47 PM
Absolutely stunning. Fantastic work!

Wilbur Pan
07-22-2009, 9:04 PM
That's pretty phenomenal!

What kind of wood did you use on the inside? I've picked out cherry and spalted maple for the outside doors, but the color change on the inside drawers has me thrown off.

Joe McMahon
07-22-2009, 9:07 PM
Holy CRAP!!!! Talk about nice ------ Outstanding!

jerry nazard
07-22-2009, 9:26 PM
I was TRYING to eat dinner before you so rudely interrupted me.... <gr>!!

Ted Calver
07-22-2009, 9:31 PM
They don't get much better!!

David Gendron
07-23-2009, 1:12 AM
Realy outstanding work! I like the way you arrange the card scrapers and the squares! how deep is it? What are the dimansions?

Jim Koepke
07-23-2009, 1:22 AM
Very nice indeed. Do you have an expansion plan?

jim

Mark Ketelsen
07-23-2009, 8:28 AM
That's pretty phenomenal!

What kind of wood did you use on the inside? I've picked out cherry and spalted maple for the outside doors, but the color change on the inside drawers has me thrown off.
The drawer faces are also cherry but from a different tree.

Mark Ketelsen
07-23-2009, 8:42 AM
Realy outstanding work! I like the way you arrange the card scrapers and the squares! how deep is it? What are the dimansions?
Outside dimensions of the carcase (excluding crown) are 48" tall x 40 3/4" wide. The inside depth is 11 1/2". The outside depth (excluding door thickness) is 12 3/4" which includes 1/2" for the back + 3/4" for the french cleat.

Todd Young
07-23-2009, 9:08 AM
Mark, excellent work. I love the grain orientation on the door frames.

Richard Dooling
07-23-2009, 9:39 AM
What can I say - I'll just join the chorus - WOW!

Bob Strawn
07-23-2009, 9:41 AM
Lovely Cabinet!

Bob

phil harold
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
nice, damn nice!

do you plan to make a lower base cabinet for more tools and it to sit on?

Thomas Crawford
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Beautiful, very similar to what I'm planning on building, I hope mine will turn out as nice as this.

I'd also like to know what your expansion plans are :) You know you'll need more saws and another jointer plane...

Dave Anderson NH
07-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Absolutely wonderful job Mark. You should be glowing every time you open or close the doors.

Todd Burch
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Very nice! You left enough room inside the cabinet for a small child! Are you going to go Studley on us later?

Todd

Robert Rozaieski
07-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Very nice job! Looks very much like the Schwarz's cabinet. I'm assuming you used his plans/article? Same dimensions or did you adjust it to your needs?

Phillip Pattee
07-23-2009, 2:51 PM
Gorgeous! I love the lattice work for the glass. You know, now you are going to have to build some furniture for inside the house that's even nicer. And it's going to be difficult to justify new tools when you'be built a tool cabinet that looks that nice. That's about the only negative aspect I can think of with respect to your project. You might need to "place a few blemishes" in the visible parts to justify some new planes, saws, etc.:D

Garth Keel
07-23-2009, 2:58 PM
I have never seen a better piece of furniture. Be careful it doesn't end up in the living room!

What a tool cabinet!

John Keeton
07-23-2009, 3:46 PM
You know, now you are going to have to build some furniture for inside the house that's even nicer.Phillip, I am guessing that ol' Mark has a few treasures he has already created. Doesn't look like his first trip down this road judging from the cabinet, the tools, the bench....... just a wild guess, mind ya';)

Maybe with a little coaxing, he would show us some more of his fine work??

Danny Thompson
07-23-2009, 5:55 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Mark.

Jeff Skory
07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Absolutely Stunning!!! Of course you'll have to build a second one once you acquire 2 or 3 more planes. :D

Matthew Dunne
07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Stunning! Are your chisels in those drawers?

Mark Ketelsen
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes the chisels are in the drawers which have dividers. I have never understood the storage of chisels in fixed rack. When I use chisels, I almost never use just one. I want the whole kit in front of me. I also don't want them clanking together on my bench as I use them. So I pull out the drawer and then use and replace the chisels from the drawer as I work. If you have your chisels in a rack you have to grab several of them without dinging the edges and then they are rolling around on your bench as you work. Before I built this cabinet, I alway worked with chisels out of a leather tool roll for the same reason.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/tool%20cabinet/drawers.jpg

Andrew Rogove
07-24-2009, 1:07 PM
Awesome!:D

Mark Ketelsen
07-24-2009, 1:38 PM
Very nice job! Looks very much like the Schwarz's cabinet. I'm assuming you used his plans/article? Same dimensions or did you adjust it to your needs?

Chris Schwarz's cabinet is much smaller (22 1/2" x 33") than this one (40 3/4" x 48"). I had this designed before I saw Schwarz's (I saw the cherry / spalted combintation on cabinets Chris Gochnaur made a long time ago), but I did like the hardware Schwarz used so I adopted that.

John Keeton
07-24-2009, 2:03 PM
Mark, the added pic of the chisel drawer is yet more evidence of the fine work in this cabinet!! Excellent detail and craftsmanship.

BTW, I did pick up on the "initialed" chisel handles. Did you turn those, as well?

I suspect that you are hiding many talents from us?!?;)

sean m. titmas
07-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Mark,

nice job on the cabinet. i am a firm believer in that the ability of a carpenter is demonstrated by the quality of his tool chest, and you my friend are quite a capable carpenter.

on the drawer fronts, are they through D/T's with a .25" veneer? if so, i think that is a great idea to speed up the construction process while also conserving limited resources.

Bruce Page
07-24-2009, 2:48 PM
Wayne W. said it for me...WOW!

Glenn Crocker
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Very nicely done; I especially like the chisel dividers.

In a previous post you were getting information on how to deal with frass in spalted panels. What was your solution?

george wilson
07-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I wish I had the space for a nice cabinet. I'd like to make room for one by making it super efficient in providing space for a maximum of tools it would store. What I have in mind is a cabinet that sits on the floor,and is about 16" deep,maybe 5 1/2' tall X 40" wide. It would have vertical panels 16" deep that are able to slide straight in and out via drawer slides on their tops and bottoms. They would be arranged rather like the pages in a big book sitting on edge with its pages towards you. They would be mounted however many inches apart which would just clear the tools mounted on the panels.For example,if there were planes on 1 panel face,and chisels on the adjacent panel,perhaps 6" or 7" clearance would do. You just pull out the panel you want to expose the tools.

Trouble is,I like to be able to see the tools like in the OP's nice cabinet. Mine would sort of hide most of them from view unless their panel was pulled out.

There would be hardly any wasted space in such a cabinet. I already have collected too much quartered white oak,and a bunch of ball bearing drawer slides to build this cabinet.

First,though,I need to get back to finishing my duplicating wood carving machine.

Bill Houghton
07-25-2009, 11:48 PM
I wish I had a shop big enough to have that much open space around tools.

Or maybe I have too many tools. Nah.

Mark Ketelsen
07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Very nicely done; I especially like the chisel dividers.

In a previous post you were getting information on how to deal with frass in spalted panels. What was your solution?

I first tried watery-thin CA. I was hoping it would penetrate and completely stabalize the frass. (I use this technique on dinosaur fossils when digging in North Dakota.) But the CA also penetrated the surrounding wood and caused it to discolor.

So I ended up using epoxy. I used a hair dryer to pre-heat an area, then applied the epoxy and then reapplied the hair dryer to maximize penetration. It worked OK but was time consuming.

Brian Ashton
07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Great layout. I'll have to make a mental note of that for when I eventually try to organize my stuff.

David Gendron
08-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Great idea for the chisels drawer, and the use of the drawers on the bench!
David

Dave Lehnert
08-09-2009, 9:57 AM
Here is the Sketch-up model of the Popular Woodworking version.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=c2ac91973d449b18738e43095496b061&action=sr

lowell holmes
08-09-2009, 2:29 PM
I love your cabinet. What interests me as much is the location of your Veritas twin screw vise. I see a lot of pros and can't imagine any cons. Are there any issues with the location.
I'm serious and I'm ready to order the vise for my bench and install it as the front vise.

rick fulton
08-10-2009, 9:14 AM
Wow Mark! Fantastic piece - great layout, selection of wood, and craftsmanship.

Dan Andrews
08-10-2009, 7:51 PM
An inspiration for my winter project!! Also a model of craftsmanship I cannot match.

Jerry Olexa
08-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Stunning, beautiful work...Your fine craftmanship shows...VERY well done,

Pam Niedermayer
08-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Beautiful; but where are your chisels?

Pam

Steve Clardy
08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Not sure how I missed the post....but..

just adding another WOW!!!

Mark Ketelsen
08-18-2009, 12:18 AM
What interests me as much is the location of your Veritas twin screw vise. I see a lot of pros and can't imagine any cons. Are there any issues with the location.

I am very happy with the location. I didn't consider placing it at the end of the bench as some do, I like having my row of dog holes close to the front edge so I don't have to lean over to edge-joint boards - so that requires a tail vise at the end. (I also don't like putting a regular single-screw vise at the end for use with dogs ala Schwarz's version of the Holtzapple for the same reason.)

So given you are going to put the twin-screw on the front edge, you want it at the end where I put it (or the other end if you are left handed). That way, you can clamp the end of a long board in it and use a board jack or clamps to secure the other end.

Here is a pic of the bench a couple pics of the vise:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/Holtzapffel%20Workbench/57bench-from-tail-vise-end.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/Holtzapffel%20Workbench/41face-vise-chop-ready-to-install.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/mketelsen/Holtzapffel%20Workbench/42left-undercarraige.jpg

PM me if you want more details on what I did.