PDA

View Full Version : job site jointer

Virgil Johnson
07-22-2009, 5:18 PM
I am in need of a job site jointer.
I was looking at the little Grizzly bench model or even the Steelflex 6" (now on sale as a close out).

I also am thinking of the jet 10" combo (JJP-10BTOS).

Anyone have an opinions on these machines or other suggestions?

Virgil

Kyle Iwamoto
07-22-2009, 6:34 PM
Rigid 6"? It's pretty cheap. Don't know how much the jointers you mentioned are. It's a good jointer IMO.

Virgil Johnson
07-22-2009, 6:50 PM
Kyle

The Ridgid I looked at was about $500 plus shipping.

Price is not so much the issue as weight. I have not been able to find what the weight of the Ridgid is.

I have a fully equipped cabinet shop and I am in need of something easy to carry in to a job site to do those little finishing off things that come with installations.

(I had an Inca for 20 years that did the job well but finally died.)

The Grizzy weighs in at about 90 pounds and costs about $200 plus shipping.

The Steelflex weighs in at about 150 pounds (but can be disassembled) and costs about $290 plus shipping.

The Jet weighs about 75 pounds and costs about $400 plus shipping.
It has the advantage of being two machines but I am not sure how useful it would be.

Virgil

Dave Sweeney
07-22-2009, 6:52 PM
The Ridgid weighs 213lbs.

Virgil Johnson
07-22-2009, 6:59 PM
Thanks Dave.

Too heavy I think for the tasks I had in mind.

Right now the Jet is looking good but the reviews I have read are mixed.

I am not looking for perfection but it has to work as advertised.

Virgil

Jason White
07-22-2009, 8:46 PM
I have a 6" RIDGID from Home Depot. It's a good machine and not too bad to move around. I've got it permanently bolted onto a wooden shop cart with locking casters. Works great!

Jason

I am in need of a job site jointer.
I was looking at the little Grizzly bench model or even the Steelflex 6" (now on sale as a close out).

I also am thinking of the jet 10" combo (JJP-10BTOS).

Anyone have an opinions on these machines or other suggestions?

Virgil

Virgil Johnson
07-22-2009, 9:04 PM
alas Jason

my job sites are often up several floors of stairs or a long elevator ride or the like

tools have to be as small and light as possible

it would be OK if I was dropping off the back of my truck or off the trailer

but more often than not i am trudging into small and hard to get to spaces

if it is not the City, it is up some winding climbing path to a house tucked in the Catskills

either way it means things have to be carried

ugh!

Virgil

Gus Pedersen
07-23-2009, 8:12 AM
Hi virgil

I think I can help. I have a 6" Jet Jointer in my shop that has been replaced.
you can have it for what it is worth to you. The only thing bad is that you have to pay the shipping, but seeing as my shop is in Saugerties and you are in stone ridge, I think it would be easy for you to come and pick it up, and we get to meet.
Gus

Todd Burch
07-23-2009, 8:21 AM
My Grandfather's jobsite jointer was a Stanley Bedrock #605. ;)

Prashun Patel
07-23-2009, 8:22 AM
I have the Ridgid. No way would I call it job-site.

You need a bench top model.

However, do you really need a full featured jointer on site? Benchtop models will have short beds and fences. They're only marginally better (IMHO) than a good table saw with a jointing jig (which'll let you edge joint and face joint up to 3".

A benchtop planer, on the otherhand would be awesome to have on site... Small too..

Stephen Edwards
07-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I vote for the 6" bench top jointers as a portable job site machine. They're.......well...........portable! And, they are sufficient for most job site tasks.

Best of luck with your decision.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Ah, sorry you were looking for a table top.... Yeah, the Rigid is a little heavy. Wow, the price cam way up. I think I paid 299.....

Virgil Johnson
07-23-2009, 5:34 PM
Hi virgil

I think I can help. I have a 6" Jet Jointer in my shop that has been replaced.
you can have it for what it is worth to you. The only thing bad is that you have to pay the shipping, but seeing as my shop is in Saugerties and you are in stone ridge, I think it would be easy for you to come and pick it up, and we get to meet.
Gus

Are you the one in the phone book?

I will try later this evening.

Virgil

Larry Edgerton
07-23-2009, 6:28 PM
I don't know if they make it anymore, but I have a Makita combination jointer/planer that works well in bith modes, is hardly heavier or larger than most portable planers these days, and is of very good quality. I can carry it and I am a beat up old man. I have had mine for about ten years and use it the sam way you will, fitting on installs.

If it is not still made, maybe ebay?

Virgil Johnson
07-23-2009, 7:06 PM
I don't know if they make it anymore, but I have a Makita combination jointer/planer that works well in bith modes, is hardly heavier or larger than most portable planers these days, and is of very good quality. I can carry it and I am a beat up old man. I have had mine for about ten years and use it the sam way you will, fitting on installs.

If it is not still made, maybe ebay?

Did a search and it appears they are not made anymore.

I am also a beat up old man.

I will take a look at ebay.

Virgil

Dino Makropoulos
07-23-2009, 7:46 PM
Did a search and it appears they are not made anymore.

I am also a beat up old man.

I will take a look at ebay.

Virgil

Hi Virgil.
We did custom carpentry at 450 park ave and It was a big pain just to
unload and load the tools every day...until we met Tony.

Can you list the tasks for the jointer?

Virgil Johnson
07-23-2009, 8:07 PM
Hi Virgil.
We did custom carpentry at 450 park ave and It was a big pain just to
unload and load the tools every day...until we met Tony.

Can you list the tasks for the jointer?

Tony? is that a big strong young guy???? chuckle

Mostly I carpentery.

Typical job. Well, next week (if it ever stops raining) I will build (assemble) a small japanese tea house (built in the shop) as a garden structure.
Next assemble (built in the shop) porch posts and railings).

Arbors. Gates.

Custom doors. Some trims (shaping).

Some cabinetry - like sewing stations, bookshelves, fitted radiator covers.
House restoration work.

odd jobs you might say

I used to be an architectural woodworker (San Francisco) but no longer do the the big jobs since I am now what they call "retired")

So it is sort of small fun jobs that are built ("manufactured" if you will) in the shop and then fitted it.

Usually a job site lasts only a day or a few days.

(BTW - I also draw architectual visualizations. Just mentioned that as an aside for those who read this thread who might want to explore that as a way not only to come up with shop drawings but also as a well a way to sell.
A picture is worth 10,000 words.)

Dino Makropoulos
07-23-2009, 9:32 PM
Tony was a N.Y union carpenter.
The epiphany of simplicity and reverse thinking.

Your jobs are so complex that most carpenters would walk away from...
To Tony, any job was the same as long as your best tool was up and running.

I use to think that me and my crew was the best for the most demanding Manhattan woodworking projects...until we met Tony.

One man with a bag of jigs was faster and better than me and two pro-guys with all the right tools, a truck to move the tools and a driver to park the truck and go up and down all day to bring whatever we need to make our job faster, better and easier.

All the tools except the simple brain of Tony.

If you search "Tony" in my posts you will find more about him why he called me stupid few times.:o

What the jointer has to do with this thread?
NOTHING. ;)

Make sure you tip the elevator guys and the doorman.:rolleyes:

Good luck and post some pictures of your work.:cool:

Virgil Johnson
07-23-2009, 9:48 PM
Tony was a N.Y union carpenter.
The epiphany of simplicity and reverse thinking.

Your jobs are so complex that most carpenters would walk away from...
To Tony, any job was the same as long as your best tool was up and running.

I use to think that me and my crew was the best for the most demanding Manhattan woodworking projects...until we met Tony.

One man with a bag of jigs was faster and better than me and two pro-guys with all the right tools, a truck to move the tools and a driver to park the truck and go up and down all day to bring whatever we need to make our job faster, better and easier.

All the tools except the simple brain of Tony.

If you search "Tony" in my posts you will find more about him why he called me stupid few times.:o

What the jointer has to do with this thread?
NOTHING. ;)

Make sure you tip the elevator guys and the doorman.:rolleyes:

Good luck and post some pictures of your work.:cool:

OK here is bridge I built. And then there are the rafters for the tea house along with the moon window and shoji background screen.

(I also make shoji - the rice paper kind.)

The building in the background with the trellises (pic on the left) is my shop.

Virgil

better yet go to my website www.Retiredcarpenter.com (http://www.Retiredcarpenter.com)

Gus Pedersen
07-23-2009, 9:51 PM
Hi Virgil
In saugerties on rt 32.
You can get my phone number on my web site
www.guspedersen.com
or my email is there also
Gus

Virgil Johnson
07-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi Virgil
In saugerties on rt 32.
You can get my phone number on my web site
www.guspedersen.com (http://www.guspedersen.com)
or my email is there also
Gus

Gotcha!

As long as we are exchanging websites...go to Retiredcarpenter.com for me.

I will call tomorrow since it is getting late.

Virgil

John Schreiber
07-24-2009, 10:09 AM
What about a hand held power planer (if an old Stanley doesn't appeal to you)? Festool even makes a jig for holding it upside down and using it with a fence.

Having seen your website, I feel silly recommending anything to you. You are a great craftsman who knows much more than I. Your visualizations are great too. "Carpenter" my foot.

Virgil Johnson
07-24-2009, 5:25 PM
What about a hand held power planer (if an old Stanley doesn't appeal to you)? Festool even makes a jig for holding it upside down and using it with a fence.

Having seen your website, I feel silly recommending anything to you. You are a great craftsman who knows much more than I. Your visualizations are great too. "Carpenter" my foot.

Thanks for the compliment John but you know it is quite easy.
Just make a bunch of stuff for 40 odd years and every once in while you get something that looks good.
Just post those pictures and everyone thinks you are wizard!
Nevermind all those bad ones!!

You know that is not a bad idea about a hand held planer.
Mostly I have got everything down pat when I make it in the shop for a site - but every now and then there is the unpredictable.
And a small planer might just do the job now that I think of it.

Virgil

Larry Edgerton
07-24-2009, 6:42 PM
Nice work. I just show the good ones too.;)

I use a Porter Cable door plane with the fence quite often on site, especially with long stock, good suggestion. I may have an extra one around if I haven't given it away. Had one that is a router as well as a planer in a case.....

I'll look around the shop/shops. I'm moving my shop after many years, yuck! Too much "Good stuff". New shop is smaller, so many dilemas....:(

On the other end of the Jointer scale, I am looking for a good home for a 2500# Porter, but portable is not a word to discribe that one....

johnny means
07-24-2009, 11:21 PM
I bought this little Delta

(http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=33781-70-JT160&lpage=none)

for just such occasions. Being someone who is more accustomed to "real" WW machines, I kind of scoffed at the idea of a jointer that was about as long as my shop jointer is wide. But, I was really sort of impressed with how well it did what it needed to do when the time came. Granted, it did have its limits. I refused to do anything longer than 5' and the fence is tricky to get square. But it sure beats treking back to the shop with a couple of boards when you could have finished up.

Stephen Edwards
07-24-2009, 11:44 PM
I bought this little Delta

(http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=33781-70-JT160&lpage=none)

for just such occasions. Being someone who is more accustomed to "real" WW machines, I kind of scoffed at the idea of a jointer that was about as long as my shop jointer is wide. But, I was really sort of impressed with how well it did what it needed to do when the time came. Granted, it did have its limits. I refused to do anything longer than 5' and the fence is tricky to get square. But it sure beats treking back to the shop with a couple of boards when you could have finished up.

That's the same jointer that I use for jobsite work. It's easy to move and adequate for many common jointing tasks.

Caspar Hauser
07-25-2009, 8:03 AM
[QUOTE=johnny means;1181324]I bought this little Delta

So did I, I wish I hadn't, it's gone to be recycled.

Until I can find something else I'm using my Record No7.

CH