PDA

View Full Version : Peanut oil

Joe Luzich
07-22-2009, 4:45 PM
I just watched a Richard Raffan video and he used peanut oil. Is peanut oil safe to use or does it turn rancid after a while. I have used mineral oil and walnut oil, but never peanut oil. Does anyone use it.

Dave Marshall
07-22-2009, 4:50 PM
I wouldn't use peanut oil. Too many people have allergies to it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2009, 6:11 PM
I only use Mahoney's walnut oil.

Terry Gerros
07-22-2009, 6:20 PM
I use peanut oil and have not had any problems with it going rancid. I also apply a layer of beeswax over the peanut oil. I may have to rethink its use after the note about allergies.....

Steve Kubien
07-22-2009, 6:26 PM
Anyone who has seen a young child have an allergic reaction to peanuts would never consider it using it. Those who haven't seen such a reaction are encouraged to take my word for it.

Harlan Coverdale
07-22-2009, 6:50 PM
Anyone who has seen a young child have an allergic reaction to peanuts would never consider it using it. Those who haven't seen such a reaction are encouraged to take my word for it.
Or an adult. I have a good friend who's severely allergic to nuts. It's so bad that she has to carry an Epi-Pen in her purse. She starts having trouble breathing if she's sitting on a plane next to someone eating a bag of peanuts. Touching a bowl that's got peanut oil on it would cause her skin to break out in a rash.

Personally, I'd stay away from nut oils for finishes, even though others have had lots of success with them.

Jon Behnke
07-22-2009, 9:16 PM
I know of some one who uses olive oil, swears by it, might want to try that instead.

Norm Zax
07-23-2009, 3:48 AM
Most plant oils naturally contain unsaturated fatty acids. Unfortunately, a high content in unsaturated fatty acids increases the tendency of an oil to become rancid, especially when exposed to oxygen, light, and elevated temperatures. Rancidity results from the breakdown of fatty acids causing formation of rancid tasting and unhealthy compounds, such as aldehydes. Here are a few numbers: http://healthyeatingclub.com/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data2i.html

William Bachtel
07-23-2009, 8:43 AM
I use Mineral Oil, or Grapeseed Oil, will not go rancid and is smooth going on, and seems to last, you can get it at any grocery store.

Prashun Patel
07-23-2009, 8:49 AM
Most plant oils naturally contain unsaturated fatty acids. Unfortunately, a high content in unsaturated fatty acids increases the tendency of an oil to become rancid, especially when exposed to oxygen, light, and elevated temperatures. Rancidity results from the breakdown of fatty acids causing formation of rancid tasting and unhealthy compounds, such as aldehydes. Here are a few numbers: http://healthyeatingclub.com/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data2i.html

Norm's right on. Any oil containing 'organic' groups will do this. Only mineral or paraffin-based oils will not rancidify.

Chip Sutherland
07-23-2009, 9:38 AM
for all the reasons already stated.

Kim Ford
07-23-2009, 1:21 PM
I know there are definate opinions on this subject and I respect those offering them.

However, I started using Virgin Olive Oil on bowls in 1992 and have had no problems. I still have some of these bowls and continue to re-coat when needed. I urge people that have my bowls to re-coat them when they start to dry out. Never a problem.

The finish is no different than the wood, if not cared for it will deterioriate (rot) if the right conditions exist. So do not assume any oil finish is bulletproof.

For the woods I turn; maple, cedar, walnut, alder, myrtlewood, cherry, apple, ash, oak and madrone I have had no problems.

I have tried several other oils and haven't found any other oil I like any better so I will continue to use it.

Ron McKinley
07-23-2009, 9:12 PM
Virgin coconut nut oil won't go rancid according to a book I have......Ron

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Mahoney's walnut oil won't go rancid. I have used it for going on 4 yrs now and have dinner plates we have used for 3 and they are fine.

William Bachtel
07-24-2009, 7:46 AM
I know there are definate opinions on this subject and I respect those offering them.

However, I started using Virgin Olive Oil on bowls in 1992 and have had no problems. I still have some of these bowls and continue to re-coat when needed. I urge people that have my bowls to re-coat them when they start to dry out. Never a problem.

The finish is no different than the wood, if not cared for it will deterioriate (rot) if the right conditions exist. So do not assume any oil finish is bulletproof.

For the woods I turn; maple, cedar, walnut, alder, myrtlewood, cherry, apple, ash, oak and madrone I have had no problems.

I have tried several other oils and haven't found any other oil I like any better so I will continue to use it.

Have you tried Grapeseel Oil, you will like itl

George Guadiane
07-24-2009, 8:13 AM
I know of some one who uses olive oil, swears by it, might want to try that instead.

I use olive oil on a fairly regular basis, on darker woods, mineral oil on the light woods, when sanding... No oil sanding is no good for anyone using an oil based finish, the drying time could run to decades, I think...

I also use kukui nut oil, and rather like it, but it is a bit expensive, so I use it sparingly, and mostly on tropical woods.
I took a LOT of heat on another site about the rancidity thing, but have found in use, and after several years, there are no issues with the pieces I have finished this way and kept...
Perhaps if I stored them in my car in August or tried to roast them in the oven, I might break down the oil to a point where it would get nasty, but I have no interest in finding out.

Curt Fuller
07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I've never found any of the natural vegetable or nut oils or mineral oil to be much different in the way the finish turns out. The commercial oil finishes like Mahoney's Walnut oil and Minwax Antique oil have been processed in ways I don't even pretend to understand and that gives them a quality that allows the finish to be built up, buffed, and shined. But the raw oils, at least in my experience, just seem to soak into the wood giving it a nice color and feel. But even if you don't actually use the bowl or whatever, don't wash it or anything, the natural oil finish will gradually fade and dry out and need to be re-oiled to keep it's original look. After reading this post I checked some bowls that I've used walnut oil, the variety for cooking off the grocery store shelf, that are several years old and other than losing much of their luster they have no hint of odor or rancidity.

The nut allergy problem would be a concern if you knew you were going to expose someone with allergy problems to the peanut oil.

David Walser
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
This is just FYI: Peanut oil, soy oil, and the nut oils (peanuts are not true nuts, they are a type of bean) do not cause allergic reactions IF the oil is heat processed. Cold pressed oils (most organic oils and many coming from outside the US are cold pressed) MAY cause allergic reactions. The reason is the allergic reaction is caused by the proteins in the peanut (or soy bean, walnut, etc.). Pure oil contains no proteins. The heat process produces pure oil. Cold pressed oils are pure only to the extent all the proteins are filtered out. The mechanical process of filtering the oils cannot guarantee protein free oil.

What does that mean to us? Unfortunately, product labels do not always tell us what process was used to create the oil. Most major US brands use the heat process method and are safe. The only way to be absolutely sure is to avoid using the oil if there is any doubt about how the oil was made.

Sorry for not posting a link. A quick internet search will produce several sources if you want to read up on the topic.