PDA

View Full Version : Day 3 of the knife box project - no pics

Dennis Peacock
09-02-2004, 2:04 AM
Well....here it is Day 3 is O V E R.!!!!

I got two shipments today:

1. The order from Lee Valley is here. I can start the process of making a set of prototype wooden hinges for this box.

2. I got a piece of Gaboon Ebony that I am less than pleased with. For $50 plus shipping for a 19" long piece of 4/4" wood, I expected it to be FLAT on the faces of the board. Instead, there are planer grooves 1/8" deep on each face and Opposite sides that takes half of each face at a taper cut to one end.!!!! Needless to say that it's time to call the supplier.

Any way, I got some little bullet hinges that are nickle plated in case the wooden hinges fail me during the making. I "really" don't want to go the route of the bullet hinges on this box as I honestly belive that it just wouldn't look "right" with cheap bullet hinges.

<b>I feel as though I'm about to "blow a fuse"!!!!</b> :eek: :(

Dennis Peacock
09-02-2004, 2:23 AM
Oh yea...did I mention that delivery of the box HAS TO BE next Thursday!!!! :eek:

Ernie Kuhn
09-02-2004, 2:56 AM
Dennis,
Been reading your story since you started. My sympathy goes out to you, especially with this latest problem about the wood. I'd be about half p......eeved! But............
Take a deep breath, go get a cup of coffee, take a quick walk outside and sniff the air, how many different smells can you identify? Clear your head.
Is there some way to incorporate the 1/8 planer grooves into a subtle surface design? Can you inlay a holly strip or some other type of "banding"?
Not now since you're as busy as you need to be but, for future reference in hollowing out a custom fitted recess, take a look at the Dupli-Carver. I'll forward an email I got yesterday after asking them a related question.
Take a deep breath. We're all with you, have seen some of your work and know you can do it. Just know we are rooting for you and everyone is anxious for pictures when its done.
Take a deep breath.
Ernie

Dennis Peacock
09-02-2004, 3:42 AM
Ernie,

Got your email. Checked out the site and have emailed them for info. :D

Next time......I'll be ready!!!!! ;) :D