PDA

View Full Version : Shark Guard for Grizzly G0690/91 TS?

Stan Mitchell
07-22-2009, 2:59 PM
I just received a new Grizzly 691 table saw on Monday and I'm already looking at accessories - specifically a decent blade guard.

Like most table saws, the factory blade guard is pretty anemic in design and features, but noticed that the Shark Guard is available for this model.

Is anyone using a Shark Guard on a riving knife equipped table saw such as the new Grizzly, PM2000 etc? Likes and dislikes?

I'm also considering the overarm guards such as the Exacktor and Excalibur - just don't know if the additional cost would be a benefit in a non-professional shop.

I've got an opinion - but would like to hear others.

Rod Sheridan
07-22-2009, 3:12 PM
Well, if there's one thing I am, it's opinionated!:D

I have an Excalibur overarm guard on a General 650 saw, as well as the Merlin splitter.

They're far superior to the shark guard because;

1) you can use the Excalibur guard when cutting dadoes or rebates

2) You can use the Excalibur when grooving

3) You can use the excalibur with a sled

4) The dust collection is superior with the Excalibur.

If you never use your saw for non through operations, the Shark is fine.

Regards, Rod.

David Hostetler
07-22-2009, 3:18 PM
Well, if there's one thing I am, it's opinionated!:D

I have an Excalibur overarm guard on a General 650 saw, as well as the Merlin splitter.

4) The dust collection is superior with the Excalibur.

If you never use your saw for non through operations, the Shark is fine.

Regards, Rod.

How exactly does one cut a rebate?

I have a Shark Guard on a Ryobi BT3100-1 and it works great. I use a ZCTP for all my through cut stuff, my Dadoes / rabbets etc... I use an OEM Dado plate for, which allows plenty of air flow to the blade shroud in order to fully pull the dust out of the operation.

Having said that I am currently doing a lot of DC rework in my shop trying to move everything to one wall with a straight shot from the DC to the tools. So my TS does NOT have DC hooked up to it. The amount of sawdust generated is stunning. ESPECIALLY when rabbeting MDF... Thank heavens for a good respirator, open doors, and a couple of box fans with allergen filters...

I have GOT to get my shop projects done!

Stan Mitchell
07-22-2009, 4:17 PM

4) The dust collection is superior with the Excalibur.Thanks Rod

Great list and insight for consideration.

I especially like your convincing use of the term "superior". That's a nice, firm opinion. :D

Using a sled completely slipped my mind and is the exact situation I'd like to have a guard and good dust control in place.

I think you have me pointed towards the Excalibur again.

Stan

glenn bradley
07-22-2009, 6:45 PM
How exactly does one cut a rebate?

Rabbet, rebate, same joint, different colour :D:D:D.

I run an overarm (not as nice as an Excalibur) and find it quite versatile. I wouldn't consider anything that didn't quickly swing out of the way. With my outfeeds, even a snap-in splitter/guard would be a pain. YMMV.