PDA

View Full Version : NYW plans - Adirondack Trio

Cary Lane
07-22-2009, 2:26 PM
Hi all -

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on Norm's Adirondack Trio. To make things easier on layout I was going to have the scale templates enlarged for my pattern stock. Is it just me or is the scale of the pattern parts on the plan a bit off from 1:4? It appears just a little off by my ruler. Has anyone built off these plans by simply enlarging 400% and had success? Maybe I'm being too particular. If so let me know; I am open to suggest

This is my rookie project. I think I'm ready to begin, have all materials and tools (although a few tools need some attention). Any advice/encouragement is appreciated.

Thanks -

Cary

Mark Patoka
07-22-2009, 3:46 PM
I have a couple of the NYW plans (Adirondack chair and porch swing) and I enlarge them by manually redrawing them on my 1" grid paper. Haven't tried upscaling on a copier or even checking with the scale. It worked well for the chair and I just started working on the swing so we'll see how that works.

Cary Lane
07-23-2009, 9:45 AM
Thank you for the reply Mark. It is off only a little bit from 1:4 by my ruler. But when I watched the DVD again Norm said the grid on the plan has 1/4" squares. Guess I should have watched a little more closely before asking. I am going to try 400% copier enlargement when I find time at work. . . .

Where did you get 1x1 grid paper? Seems like it would be handy to have around and maybe easier than trying match and tape up a bunch of copies.

Thanks again -

Cary

Dan Friedrichs
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I also just made my own 1x1 grids (on the MDF I was using as templates) and enlarged it manually.

For the cost of those plans, though, you'd think they could spring for a few extra sheets of paper and make them full-sized :mad:

Mark Patoka
07-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Where did you get 1x1 grid paper? Seems like it would be handy to have around and maybe easier than trying match and tape up a bunch of copies.

I just found on online grid paper generator when my wife needed some and use that. Otherwise I use 1/4 grid paper which helps when estimating some of those in-between distances.

I agree that for the price they could very easily have just provided a full-size drawing.

Joe Broadway
07-23-2009, 3:18 PM
I recently ordered the plans for this chair and was disappointed to see they were basically the exact same plans from his book, which I can get at my local library for free. Next time I'll be checking the books before making a purchase.

Cary Lane
07-23-2009, 5:13 PM
Thanks guys for the replies -

I did have success with 400% enlargement on copier at work. Now I need to cut out and tape pieces together. Then I can trace / glue onto my MDF template material and officially "start" the project. I appreciate your responses.

-Cary

Thomas Thurlow
07-23-2009, 5:17 PM
I just finished a set of these for my mothers bday. I had a local blueprint company blow them up 400% then spray glued them to poster board. Once you have a set of templates out of wood you can just use a pattern following bit on the router to bang out copies.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3587347822_c563fae3fa.jpg?v=0
As you can see, I am partial to Norms's plans though.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/3577754140_d837f6f49f.jpg?v=0

Cary Lane
07-23-2009, 5:24 PM
Thomas -

Thanks for the photos! I think they will serve as an inspiration. Nice shop, too. I am going to make patterns from MDF and then use a pattern bit on my router to follow the template as you suggest. That seems to me to be a great way to have reproducible results. I need to add a start pin to my router table insert and am wondering where to drill and tap for that. I posted that question separately.

-Cary