PDA

View Full Version : adjust a gate from Home Depot

Kerry Adams
07-22-2009, 2:08 PM
Good Afternoon,

Has anybody used these to build fence gates. They allow you to build many sizes and
are powder coated. But I wonder how long the powder coat will last.

Thanks,
Kerry

Rod Sheridan
07-22-2009, 2:51 PM
Good Afternoon,

Has anybody used these to build fence gates. They allow you to build many sizes and
are powder coated. But I wonder how long the powder coat will last.

Thanks,
Kerry

Probably about as long as a gate held together with screws will!:D

OK, that's a bit sarcastic, however I find that unless it's a welded steel frame with applied wood, or made with M&T joints, the gate just isn't that rigid.

Regards, Rod

David G Baker
07-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I bought one of the adjustable gate kits around 15 years or so ago and for the way I used it, it was great. Mine was not powder-coated. The gate may not work in all situations but it is a lot better than the bed frame gates I built in the past. It goes up quick and depending on your mounting set-up, if the surface that it is mounted to is solid the gate will be solid. I really liked the design idea and actually stole some of the construction ideas for a few other things I made.

Robert Mayer
07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I have two of them, both about 2 years old. The only thing that hasnt held up is the cable they provide to brace the fence from sagging, its rusts in a year. I would get a stainless ones from lowes instead. Depending on how you attach the gate latch you may have to use a self drilling metal screw or tap your own thread for a bolt.

They are insanely easy to set up though and that more than makes up for the coating. If it starts rusting badly I will just repaint them. They do resist sagging very well too as long as you use the cable.

Kerry Adams
07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone

Robert did you use the smaller version, or the commercial one? It seems from the picture on the regular one that you would have 6 to 8 inches of fence pickets above and below the gate, making it easier for them to warp.

Kerry

Robert Mayer
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Even better, I got pictures for ya.

I had a little movement in the fence pickets, but nothing crazy. The fence I built is only 4' 8". I wanted a weird sized fence for my yard so I cut down 6ft pickets.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-12/1329442/Picture%20042.jpg

Robert Mayer
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I dont know if its the commercial one or not. I think when i bought it you didnt have a choice.