PDA

View Full Version : Found some "OLD" Planes?

Will Hon
07-22-2009, 2:05 PM
I was sorting through some things in my grandfathers barn and found a couple of hand planes. They were both in pretty rough condition... I spent quite a bit of time fixing one up, and then on another trip I found the other. They don't appear to have any discernible manufacturer... only stamped with "Made in U.S.A.", and I only found that after I cleaned the rust off, can anyone identify them?

Lee Schierer
07-22-2009, 2:10 PM
You might get faster identification on the Neander side.

Todd Burch
07-22-2009, 2:28 PM
The first photo shows a hunk of metal that should be melted down into something else.
The second is a Stanley 110. Great little block plane. Good shape too. I use mine ALL... THE... TIME...

Todd

Cody Colston
07-22-2009, 2:44 PM
That first one looks to be a cheap plane plus it's missing the front knob, cap iron and a blade...in other words, it's junk.

That block plane looks to be serviceable although the newer Stanleys have an adjustable mouth and are inexpensive...but they don't come from your grandfather, either.

Will Hon
07-22-2009, 3:51 PM
thanks for the input so far guys. What makes the first one so terrible? Is it just a poorly made offshore or what?

Jim Koepke
07-22-2009, 5:14 PM
I saw your post in Neanderthal Haven.

The large plane looks to be a Millers Falls #14, an equivalent to a Stanley #5.

If it cleans up well, it might not be too bad. Otherwise, it if does have a lot of rust on the sole, finding the parts to restore it may be more work than just finding another one. The Stanley #5 is a very common plane and is often at yard sales or such for $5-$10.

jim