PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak Keepsake Box

Mathew Nedeljko
09-02-2004, 1:46 AM
Hi Everyone! I've been lurking in the background for a while now, and finally found some time to learn how to post a new message and some pictures.

Here's my first project, completed about 18 months ago. My wife asked me to build her a keepsake box where she could keep personal items, so I came up with this design.

The box measures approx 16*13*7, is made out of a single piece of red oak, the corners are mitered and splined with cedar. I really like the medualar flecks you can see in the edges of the lid, which is frame and panel. The frame is joined with bridle joints, and the panel is 3/4 thick with half of it contained inside a centered groove in the frame,and the other half raised above. The hinges are thick solid brass Brusso hinges which I found in the discount bin at Rockler. I scooped a couple of sets of those up in a hurry.

I especially like how the grain flows around the corners. I finished it with 3 coats of Watco Danish Oil and then added a coat of paste wax to give it a satin sheen.

Anyway, I know it's not much, but I wanted to share.

Thanks for looking!:)

Jason Tuinstra
09-02-2004, 1:56 AM
Did you say, "First box" or "First project"? The reason I ask is because the term "bridal joint" did not come into my vocab until, hmmm, project 10 or 12. Seriously, you did a nice job with this box. You obviously took your time and did it right. Nice work and care to get a nice project you can be proud of even after project 10 and 12 come along.

Dennis Peacock
09-02-2004, 2:09 AM
Welcome to the Creek Mathew!!!! Very nice box.!!!! Well done sir.!!! If you lived closer to me, you could help me out on this knife box I'm making. :eek: :D

Thanks for sharing of a project well done.!!!!!

Kurt Aebi
09-02-2004, 7:01 AM
Mathew, Mathew, Mathew, You sell yourself short.

"Anyway, I know it's not much, but I wanted to share."

That is a beautiful box and for your "First" project! Well Sir, you have done yourself very proud and I must say it is Excellent Work!

Welcome to "The Creek" and keep up the good work!

Great Pictures, Don't you think? Tyler?

Dick Parr
09-02-2004, 7:43 AM
Very nice looking box Mathew, welcome to the Creek.

John Miliunas
09-02-2004, 8:07 AM
Mathew....Welcome to the Creek! :D Super place to hang your hat, share and learn! Now, 'ya done good by posting pics right away, but "first project"??? :confused: Come on, dude! Give it up...How many other "first projects" were there?! :D You must've built one o' them footstools or somethin' like that in HS Shop, right? :) Hey, looks great, regardless of project number and, if it truly is your first, then I'd love to see your third or fourth! :) Come often, stay long and keep those pics coming! :cool:

Gary Whitt
09-02-2004, 8:15 AM
Very nice box!
Welcome to the Creek!!

Mark J Bachler
09-02-2004, 8:41 AM
Great detail & nice design. You'll have fun here, hang around.

Bob Hovde
09-02-2004, 9:28 AM
Very nice box! C'mon, guys. Give him a break. It probably is a "first project" - since it's perfect. You only start making mistakes at about project 6, when you "know it all!" :D

Bob

Mathew Nedeljko
09-02-2004, 9:51 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! This really was my first project, and I learned an awful lot from the experience. Amazing how much easier it is to get 45 deg mitres to go together when they are splined!

I just recently moved to a new house (and stepped up to a new 19' by 21' shop in the basement Yahoo!!!) so I've been busy organizing and setting up. I have built a set of shelves and a set of Laundry room cabinets, and I'm working on finishing the basement.

Funny how there never seems to be enough hours in a day.:o

Michael Stafford
09-02-2004, 4:08 PM
Really nice box Matthew. You know you are well on your way to woodworking success when your wife will let you bring your projects into the house. That is doubly true when she wants the project. Keep making her happy and you will be able to use the line "I really need this tool for the project I'm making for you." Good work!

Jim Becker
09-02-2004, 4:10 PM
Outstanding work, Matthew! You did a great job wrapping that lumber around the box...it really enhances the craftsmanship you put into the project.

Donnie Raines
09-02-2004, 4:22 PM
Hey Matt!!!!

We are so close to each other we could hit each other with a baseball. I am in Milford......would love to have you swing by and see the shop and shoot the breeze.
...I also have some goodies I sell from time to time..... :cool: ...lumber that is

513-722-0615

Chris Padilla
09-02-2004, 5:36 PM
First project my foot, Matt!!! C'mon, that pic of you, like most on here, is from 20 years ago and 20 lbs. ago, right??!!

Seriously, nice little box...great job! :)

John Olson
09-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Great box, now get to work on about 20 more for Christmas presants. Also every person who helps you out this year would like one. So you have your work cut out for you. LOL

Tyler Howell
09-03-2004, 7:47 AM
Lurkers,
Pay attention now:
My main man Matt steps up pictures in hand and great project, Joins up! :p :p
Way to go Matt! Glad to have you here, some great folks. A great box too!:cool:

Kent Cori
09-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Mathew,

The box is beautiful. I really like the simple lines and the excellent execution.

Welcome to the group. I know you'll enjoy your time here. At least when you're not in your new shop! :)