PDA

View Full Version : oneida dust collector drum

Jim Barstow
07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I ordered a second 35 gal drum for my oneida dust collector and never got the message back on what the shipping was going to be. I just called and found that for a $33.50 drum the shipping charge was $50. I'm trying to cancel.

Does anyone know of an alternate supplier show doesn't gouge on shipping? Or even a local (SF Bay area) supplier?

george wilson
07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Can you saw the top half off of a 55 gallon drum with a saber saw? try to saw straight.

The lid does not have to be clamped on the drum as the lid is sucked down against the drum anyway when in use. I never clamp mine on. You could even use a 5 gallon plastic paint pail ( pretty small),or an old shop vacuum body.

I don't know why the $50.00 charge. It might be related to the size of the box. Penn state sells the 35 gallon drum,but I don't know the shipping charges.

there are times when shipping is more than the item. I needed a 1 ounce bottle of gunbrowning solution,and the shipping was over $4.00.

Tom Wassack
07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Greetings from NC!
Jim,
A quick Google search yielded 35 gallon drums available from Penn State Industries @ $39.95 + $16.00 shipping. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CYDRUM35.html

An Ontario, Ca CL ad has some used 35 gallon drums available for $12.00. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/for/1282502328.html

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Jamie Buxton
07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Build your own. You can make a box with one sheet of plywood. You may even have enough scrap around to make it without buying wood. While you're at it, put an acrylic window in the side so you can see when to empty it.

Michael Schwartz
07-23-2009, 3:23 PM
These drums are not just made for dust collection, there have to be local sources for them since they are used in other industries. Ask around, I am sure there is some business that just throws them out after they are done with whatever came in them.

I have also seen people use plastic trash cans with a plywood lid and, a ring shaped plywood rib to keep them from collapsing from suction. The weight of the hose and lid, as well as the suction are enough to where you don't need to clamp or seal it.

Pete Shermet
07-25-2009, 6:15 AM
These guys used to be in my home town of Milton Ontario Canada, They were great to deal with but have now moved away:
http://www.greif.com/
Good Luck
Best Regards
Pete

Chip Lindley
07-25-2009, 2:52 PM
IF you only have height for a 35gal. drum, a 55gal. drum can be cut down. Plastic drums are readily available for a paltry sum. Check the classified!

IF you DO have room for a 55gal. enjoy the extra capacity!

IF the sawdust-making gets heavy, another can be attached, and the full drum stored outside until it can be emptied, unlike a fiber drum that is very moisture-challenged!

Bruce Wrenn
07-25-2009, 9:46 PM
Check with a janitorial supply house. Many cleaning agents come in fiber drums. Find who is using what, and go ask them for an empty. They trash them when empty. Some car washes get their detergent (powder) in fiber drums, but some also get it as a liquid in plastic drums. Most any large warehouse will use "dust down" on the floors, which comes in fiber drums, especially a warehouse that handles masonry cement products. Raw ingredients for drug companies also come in fiber drums. Got the mind to thinking yet? They are there for free, but you have to figure out who has them. I used to get mine from local Lowes store. I like the drums with a plastic lid. I could use a trammel with two nails in it to cut hole for pipe in less than a minute.

Jim Becker
07-27-2009, 9:42 AM
Did you happen to call Oneida about the shipping cost? They have never charged me like that for a drum... ;)