View Full Version : My First Spray-finishing project...DONE!!

Edward Garrett
07-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Well, I finished my new desk and completed my first forray into the world of spray finishing with my new QualSpray HVLP gun....and I LOVED IT!! THANK YOU to all for your insight and suggestions!

The finish I finally chose is two coats of Maganlac Black Satin (thinned 25%), then - after the distressing/sanding process - two coats of Magnalac Clear Satin (thinned 20%).

Attached are a few pictures of the finished product, and while I certainly have a lot to learn and get better at, I am very pleased with the result. The distressed look, exposure of the grain and durability of the finish is just what I had in mind (although I did get a bit carried-away with the distressing in one or two spots). The process itself was so much quicker and satisfying than hand-finishing....I may never go back!!

Please feel free to share any critique or suggestions on the attached pictures - I am looking forward to continuing my climb up the spray-finishing learning curve!

Larry Fox
07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow - very nice looking job. Nothing about it makes me think first-timer. My first attempt at spraying had runs, orange-peel, bald spots - the works. Keep at it and you will pick up tons of little tidbits - reading is no substitute for experience for sure.

Jeff definitely sells some nice gear, that QualSpray should last you a good long while.

You can also practice spraying techniques and get familiar with the gun by spraying water. Helps you understand the controls and all that without having to clean the gun after.

Editing my post to point out that you don't want to disregard hand-applied finishes. There are some very cool and satisfying ways to do it by hand with French Polishing beign just one example.

Ben Galluzzo
07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Wow. That finish looks really nice. I like how you can see the grain of the wood. Nice work.

John Keeton
07-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Larry, excellent result!! You need to post this in the projects forum, as well. Very nice work, as usual for you.

I notice the brand on the drawers. I have a small one, but do you have a close up pic of that? And, what was your source?

Rob Cunningham
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice looking desk. The finish looks first class.
I have a Qual Spray gun also and love it.

Todd Burch
07-22-2009, 2:26 PM
It's you - it's not the gun! Great job!

Todd

Clara Koss
07-22-2009, 2:29 PM
love the color and the work well it goes without saying that its great... is that your brand on the drawers??? neat!!!!:p

Edward Garrett
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks for all the compliments folks! Since a couple of you have asked about the branding iron, the following link is what I have...it really does work pretty well.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6378&filter=branding%20iron

Thanks again!