PDA

View Full Version : Round Medallions

R. A. Mitchell
07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a customer who is interested in various awards incorporating their logo in a round medallion. I think Laserlight will do the trick, but I'd also like to present other options. The medallion is about 3 inches, so the common 2 inch circles that everyone sells alumamark in won't work for me. I don't have the equipment to cut alumamark sheet into circles. I understand that JDS and Johnson Plastic will cut custom orders. Does anyone have a small quantity of gold/black alumamark in 3 inch circles that I could test before ordering large amounts of custom cut stock? Ideas besides alumamark?

The group may wind up casting actual bronze medallions in the future, but they are looking for something less expensive and in smaller batches now.

Frank Corker
07-22-2009, 6:43 AM
Robert, did you view this post by me: This was something new for me (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116702)
If the other stuff is causing you problems, then this material could be your life saver.

Mike Null
07-22-2009, 7:22 AM
Robert

Almost all of the suppliers in this business will give you free samples to test. Just give them a call.

R. A. Mitchell
07-22-2009, 8:25 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the recommendation about laser foil. I have used that before, and it is good stuff for the right project. My problem with it on wood is that it conforms too closely to the grain of wood plaques and I found that I had to mask it before cutting it or the edges wind up melting/charring around the edges. Then I need to weed it out of the fine detail. It's do-able, but I find LaserLight to be easier to work with.

My customer may very well be happy with LaserLight. My goal was to provide him with a few options, one of which being alumamark or something physically harder than laserlight.