PDA

View Full Version : Nova dvr xp ??

Dolan Brown
07-21-2009, 9:44 PM
I just received my new NOVA DVR XP Monday and have a question, actually two, for those here that have this lathe.

1. If you mounted it to a flat surface, like a workbench --- not on legs, did you put spacers under the areas where you bolt it down? The reason I ask is that if I mount it directly to my lathe cabinet the shavings that fall into the space between the ways will be a little hard to get out without using a vacuum hose.

2. If you have converted yours to 220volt and have it connected to a surge supressor, can you provide info on which surge supressor are you using?

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I have the Nova DVR. Yes I did put spacers under mine to make cleaning easier. I haven't converted mine to 220V but do have a surpressor on it.

Alan Trout
07-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I have mine converted to 220V I used this surge suppressor. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=SDSA1175&x=0&y=0 I got mine from Amazon it was the best deal I could find.

I would suggest you have spacers or cut holes in the top of the bench for clean out of chips and curls. I know that most people that mount them to a flat bench add some sort of spacer. Chip and curl clearing was a major consideration when I designed my stand, Which can be seen here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

Congratulations on your new lathe and have a good time making curls. I know you are going to really enjoy it.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Dolan - congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing photos once you have it all set up!

Bill Bolen
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Dolan congrats. I have only had mine about 2 weeks and do have a surge suppressor and I also raised the bed from the mounting surface. More than clearing chips I wanted to get my hand underneath so as to position a steadyrest I kept the 110 power supply and feel no need to go 220...Bill...

alex carey
07-22-2009, 1:06 AM
Congrats on the lathe, lets see some pictures.

Harlan Coverdale
07-22-2009, 3:14 AM
Congrats on the lathe, lets see some pictures.
Ditto. Congrats. That's a great lathe.

Hilel Salomon
07-22-2009, 6:57 AM
Congratulations,

I built my own stand and didn't put spacers or cut appropriate holes. Cleaning up is an absolute pain, and I will definitely cut out the areas and put in a tray underneath.
I'm with Bernie on this. Lightning earlier, damaged my tv and stereo equipment and now everything-including my refrigerator-goes through a surge protector. I'm eventually going to have one at the box itself.

As for opening the panel box, Steve, who is my hero-and I'm not being sarcastic- may be right. I would check with Geist about the status of a remote switch as well.
Good luck, Hilel.

Dolan Brown
07-22-2009, 8:59 AM
Alan,

I assume that you install this surge suppressor on the lathe circuit in the breaker panel ---- is that correct?

Thanks,

Dolan

I have mine converted to 220V I used this surge suppressor. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=SDSA1175&x=0&y=0 I got mine from Amazon it was the best deal I could find.

I would suggest you have spacers or cut holes in the top of the bench for clean out of chips and curls. I know that most people that mount them to a flat bench add some sort of spacer. Chip and curl clearing was a major consideration when I designed my stand, Which can be seen here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

Congratulations on your new lathe and have a good time making curls. I know you are going to really enjoy it.

Alan

Alan Trout
07-22-2009, 9:48 AM
Dolan,

Yes that is how it is intended to be wired. It is a very simple procedure.

Alan

phil harold
07-22-2009, 2:19 PM
just use an air gun to blow the chips out

then scoop the floor when chips ar knee high:D

Andy Pogue
07-22-2009, 3:53 PM
I haven't yet completed my bench, but do have it usable. I looked for hocky pucks to use as spacers but couldn't find any here in the south. So, I went to a gasket company and bought neoprene (very stiff) that was about 3/4" thick. I cut enough "disks" to use as spacers to elevate the bed of the DVR. I used a hole saw to cut these out. Not only are they great spacers, but are vibration dampening. the scrap I bought for under $20.

Dolan Brown
07-22-2009, 9:09 PM
Alan,

Does the device from Amazon have instructions for connecting it to the panel wiring? I would guess it just connects to the two leads on the breaker and then to the ground -- but I not a wire jocky and am guessing.

Amazon's web page shows two prices but the photo is the same device. Which item did you buy?

Dolan,

Yes that is how it is intended to be wired. It is a very simple procedure.

Alan

Alan Trout
07-22-2009, 9:17 PM
Dolan,

Yes it does have instructions. It has 2 black wire and a white. I believe you connect the white to the neutral bar. But it has been a while since I installed mine.

Alan

Ralph Lindberg
07-23-2009, 9:50 AM
Dolan,

Yes it does have instructions. It has 2 black wire and a white. I believe you connect the white to the neutral bar. But it has been a while since I installed mine.

Alan
White to the neutral would be code, and I'm assuming the unit is built per code.

But, if you don't know what you are doing with 220 (or 110), find a friend that does, or hire a Pro