PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 20520, 17" Drill Press

TODD TITTLE
07-21-2009, 8:47 PM
Ok guys and gals. I am looking for a Steel City 20520, 17" Drill Press. I called the local Woodcraft today to order it and they are out and said they have two on order and don't know when they will be in because Steel City has been really slow to ship them machines as of late. They had no idea when they would be available.

So I started to look online and only found one place, C.H. Wilkie, that was cheaper than Woodcraft. Woodcraft wanted $549. Wilkie wanted $499.

I did find the VS model for $599 with free shipping. But the reviews of the VS not having slow enough speed for woodworking has me shying away from this model.

Anyway, do any of you guys and gals know of any good deals out there on the Steel City Drill Press or any sales coming up?

Thanks,
Todd

Paul Ryan
07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Todd,

I wouldn't let the speed one the VS steel city shy me away from it. The powermatic 2800 has speeds in the same ball park as the SC. Powermatic(wmh tool group) know what they are doing when it comes to woodworking tools. If they put out a drill press with the slowest speed of 400 I wouldn't worry. The slowest speed on the SC is 500, 100 RPM higher I don't think that is too much to worry about. A few months ago someone did a test on forsner bits at real slow speeds compared to mediocre speeds. The bits cut better at the mediocre speeds.

Besides that, I was just in the same ball park as you. I was looking at 3 drill press', the 2 SC models, and the new Jet JDP-17DX. I bought the jet because the table is a lot nicer than the SC, and the laser on the Jet is actually usable. I am giving up 1 5/8" stroke but the table trumped that stroke. The jet saved me about $50 too. Belts are really simple to change speeds and only take seconds to do. I have had it for about 2 weeks and really like it. I bought it from toolzone when they had free shipping. Price was $479 shipped to my door. I ordered on Mon night it was here Friday afternoon. If you contact them you might be able to get free shipping again.

Mike Heidrick
07-22-2009, 7:29 AM
Todd, Woodcraft the only dealer of SC tools around you? I traveled 80 miles to get mine and I really think it was worth the drive.

You can add a table to any drill press and build it exactly the way you like.

I was in the mode of worrying about how slow the drill press would go but in reality I really hardly ever change my drill press speeds and all of my holes come out just fine. I am not set on the lowest speed either. Just saying that the variable speed ranges of the PM and SC models would be just fine for me. That PM is spendy though. For that money I would be looking at teh newer Delta 20" or a Grizzly 20" or better yet finding a good solid old iron large drill press.

My 17" Steel city manual speed change model DP will most likely be my last drill press. They have raised the prices on these too vs $375 and rebate days of old.

Just go with a Mill LOL.

Adam Cavaliere
07-22-2009, 3:28 PM
I agree with the custom table idea. I have had my steel city DP for 6 months now and also agree that it will probably be the only drill press I'll ever need to own. The split casting makes it greatly servicable.

I haven't ordered online for big tools, but I don't see too many downsides with it, as long as there is free shipping.

Cary Falk
07-22-2009, 3:38 PM
Before I bought the Steel City DP about 2 years ago I debated between it and the Delta with the woodworking table. I decided that I can always change the table, but I can't change the quill travel without changing the DP. I think the goose neck on the light is light and doesn't hold it's place very well and I would rather have the double nuts on the depth stop, but those are minor gripes. I love the DP otherwise and will also be likely to be the last DP I will ever buy.

Justin Roberts
07-22-2009, 3:51 PM
Todd,

Where are you located. I returned one to woodcraft, due to a defect and got another one (brand new). I am not going to be using it, as I have a few others. If you are close, maybe I can save you some cash....

Justin

TODD TITTLE
07-22-2009, 4:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Table size is not an issue as I was going to make my own. I am in northern Michigan. It's 129 miles to the nearest Woodcraft. Shipping is a killer on most machines for me. When Woodcraft told me they were out and had no idea when they would be getting more, I started looking around the net. I saw some references to past sales but nothing current. I thought someone might have some info on a sale coming up or an internet site with a better price.

As far as the VS model. Anybody out there have one or a link to a review of it?

Justin if you are in Michigan I'm interested.

Todd