PDA

View Full Version : Shop Cabinets

Chuck Isaacson
07-21-2009, 8:47 PM
These are just some shots of the cabinets that I am building for the shop. They are made out of 3/4" red oak ply with a tung oil finish. They are not done yet. I have to make the face frames for the drawer cabinet tomorrow. Those are the ones that aren't finished. I just out those together today. I will be making plenty of dust tomorrow. My new DW735 planer and G0452Z jointer are really getting a workout!!!

Chuck

Paul Greathouse
07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Looking good Chuck, keep us posted as the project progresses.

Bob Vallaster
07-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I've enjoyed the saga of your shop construction.
The cabinets are nice work. Simple, stout and good-looking to boot.

BobV

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Chuck,

You are an inspiration to this old man!

Keep at it!

John Thompson
07-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Nice job on those Chuck.. from the indication of how many you sound as if you have adequate space with no such thing as too much. Trust me on that.

Well done...

gary Zimmel
07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Looks like it's going to be one fine shop...

Keep us up to date on the progress of the shop "furniture"

John Keeton
07-22-2009, 5:09 AM
Chuck, looks like you have the system down pat!! That new shop has become a cabinet factory:D One thing is for sure, though. They eat up 3/4 ply like it is fodder! It is shocking how much money one can end up with in what may be considered "cheap and quick" shop cabinets.

Keep the assembly line going!

Chuck Isaacson
07-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Chuck, looks like you have the system down pat!! That new shop has become a cabinet factory:D One thing is for sure, though. They eat up 3/4 ply like it is fodder! It is shocking how much money one can end up with in what may be considered "cheap and quick" shop cabinets.

Keep the assembly line going!

That is no joke about eating up plywood. I think that I have 5 1/2 sheets into these. So almost $300. Not bad considering it would have cost me A LOT more too order some for this place. Now granted I don't have any hardware or anything for them yet but it will come. I think that I might be able to finish these for around $500. We will see.

Chuck

alex grams
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Chuck, my exact thoughts were said by John Keeton in regards to eatting up plywood.

Did you consider making some cabinets double wides so you dont have to share a panel in the middle between them? That could cut your plywood consumption in half for the shells.

Also, I am jealous of the fact that you have enough room to lay out the cabinet carcasses like that. When I build a large project with high volume cabinets, my effective floor space turns into a jig-saw puzzle.

Very nice looking.

Chuck Isaacson
07-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Chuck, my exact thoughts were said by John Keeton in regards to eatting up plywood.

Did you consider making some cabinets double wides so you dont have to share a panel in the middle between them? That could cut your plywood consumption in half for the shells.

Also, I am jealous of the fact that you have enough room to lay out the cabinet carcasses like that. When I build a large project with high volume cabinets, my effective floor space turns into a jig-saw puzzle.

Very nice looking.

I do have the three double wide cabinets that are going to be for storage. Those are the finished ones. The four that I just put together are going to be used for drawers. I may have made too many drawers and not enough cabinets space but we will see. I can always make more and move some around. I have another wall that is going to need some cabinets as well. They might get moved around some.

Chuck

Don Bullock
07-22-2009, 11:04 AM
It looks like you have the process down and are producing some great looking cabinets for your shop. Since you're doing so well would you like to make me a set for my new shop?;):D I thought not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the cabinets installed in your shop. Hopefully that will help me to get started on my own.

Jason Strauss
07-22-2009, 1:10 PM
Hey Chuck,

Cabinets are coming along nicely! Any decision on the tops yet?

Todd Young
07-22-2009, 9:13 PM
They do look very nice. Well done. Looking forward to seeing the next stage.

Chuck Isaacson
07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey Chuck,

Cabinets are coming along nicely! Any decision on the tops yet?

I think that I am going to use 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" hardboard top. I will then trim it out with oak or something. Menards has two sheets of MDF that they say are damaged that I am going to take off their hands for 20$ a piece. Should work out great for what I am going to use it for even if they are slightly damaged. Iam just going to rip the thing in half and put it over the cabinets.

Chuck

Jacob Griffith
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Nice work...thanks for posting.

Chuck Isaacson
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Well I got all of the face frames put together and put on the carcasses on Wed. I sanded them all down and put on a coat of Tung oil yesterday and then I set them up how they are going installed. I think that they look pretty good. I am taking a break from the cabinets to build a router table so that I can build the doors and drawers. He are some pics.

Chuck

Bud Millis
08-08-2009, 7:04 AM
Nice, I could use those in my shop.