PDA

View Full Version : JWBS-16 Band Saw......any reason not to consider?!?!

Matt Sollars
07-21-2009, 7:30 PM
This is a new saw. Never used. I'm not sure how it compares with the JWBS-16B...so if anybody has that info, do share.

...also, fence and resaw attachment included.

I've just only seen or read about 14'' models and 18'' models. What would be a downside of it? It's got a 1.5hp motor. this would be my first band saw and I just want to get something that will last, and do a fine job of it. no problems would be best.

any info from you all is appreciated. i'm still out of my element with all of the woodworking stuff.

thanks gang.

matt

Matt Sollars
07-21-2009, 9:24 PM
being the first to reply to your own post has to be something like kissing your sister.....but here goes.

I bought (agreed to buy, gave my word, etc) my first piece of actual woodworking equipment tonight. (got in on the delta dust collector frenzy from a few weeks back, but can't cut wood with a DC)

I talked to the owner and he bought it, set it up, but never got the chance to use it. The JET JWSB-16B. Seems to be a good saw for a great price.

He may have some other items to sell, but he's going to get back with me in a few days on it.

Just really excited to finally be buying something. Thanks for all of the help.

Matt

ps. (now, i guess, i'm just hoping you don't reply telling me i bought a real piece of &*%# band saw:) )

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2009, 9:44 PM
Matt,

I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

I can't remember hearing anything bad about Jet bandsaws. Generally speaking Jet woodworking tools are well liked.

Matt Sollars
07-21-2009, 9:56 PM
thanks Ken.

i know JET is considered ''reputable'' for quality and such......just wondering about this specific saw.

thanks again,

matt

george wilson
07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
I bought a new Jet 16" bandsaw for my shop at work a few years ago. I thought I didn't have room for our old standby,and favorite,the 20" Delta. I wanted to get it into the room where we had the dust collection system.

The bandsaw was quite flexible,and easy to "bend" if the base was not touching the floor on all 4 corners. The blade easily bobbed in and out of the guides if you pushed the column. The base had to be shimmed solidly till all corners were touching. Then,the saw seemed a lot more solid. the European bearings bothered me.The vertical rotating guides weren't quite square with the blade,and seemed a pain to try to lubricate. I felt that the stupid things were just way too wide,and in my way. I got carter guides for it. Then,I just didn't like the saw because it wasn't as accurate or sturdy as the Delta. I gave it away to another shop nearby in the museum. We moved the 20" Delta into place,and lived with the snug area between it and the planer.

This does not mean that you might not like the saw if you aren't used to a good old Delta. At least the wheels seemed to run true. I had a 14" Delta clone that I adapted for metal work.It was a good thing it didn't run fast,because the head bobbed up and down as it slowly ran. At wood speed,it would have been quite a vibration,and I'd have had to remove the wheels and true them in my metal lathe. I am currently restoring a 20" Delta at home.It is from the 50's,and is all there,only needing a decent paint job. It has always been my favorite bandsaw.

Matt Sollars
07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
well, George, by my calculations, that gives you TWO 20'' Deltas.
Just send one of those bad boys my way and i'll give away this new JET before i even take a cut on it. :)

matt

george wilson
07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
One was at work,and the other is mine at home. I have had a 14" Delta since 1963 that I like too,but the 20" is better. Call the Millwork Shop at Colonial Williamsburg,and ask them if they like their free 16" Jet. 757-229-1000,and ask for the Millwork shop. Make sure the dippy operator doesn't give you the Millinery shop. They have a Northfield bandsaw there which I always hated. It looks so cobbled together out of odd chunks of scrap metal. The electric brake makes a terribly loud CLACK when you shut it off. I do not ever recall seeing a blade in it that was not welded straight,but that isn't the saw's fault. They were probably glad to get a saw that ran better than that thing.

They spent $30,000 on a new Northfield planer. It had holes in the table filled in with bondo. It was exceedingly loud,so much so that the men built a padded box around the motor to ease the noise some. They can keep the Northfield stuff.

The best large bandsaws I ever saw were 36" Tannewitz's. They ran so smoothly that you had to look at the blade's teeth to tell if they were running in a factory setting. They were amazing. I know where there is a 42" that can be had cheap. There is also a 36" Doall wood bandsaw that is exceedingly smooth there also,but IIRC it is $2500.00,or so. The other is 3 figures,$800,I think.

Matt Sollars
07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
pretty awesome of you to give it away. you folks all impress me over and over again. what a good group of people.

matt

Michael Boyle
07-22-2009, 3:43 AM
I have the band saw you are talking about and it has worked very well for me. I have it in my home shop and it has been a real good workhorse for what my needs are. I use the saw for ripping and some re-sawing. The one thing I would recommend is to get a good blade for it if you are going to re-saw heavy, dense woods. It's motor is 1 1/2 horse so it does not have the torque of the 3 horse and larger units that many of the professional shops use, keep that in mind since it does mean that you will have to push some woods through it slower to not bog it down. As far as reliability, I have not had any issues of any sort with mine. It is certainly a step up from most of the 14" saws on the market in terms of capacity. Congratulations with your purchase, I believe you will happy with the saw.