PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever turned pistacio wood????

Brian Novotny
07-21-2009, 7:14 PM
I've been told that all fruit and nut trees are good, but does anyone have expererience with the pistacio lumber? I just got offered an orchard at a small price.

robert hainstock
07-21-2009, 7:38 PM
some better than others. review all that has been said about avoiding cracking, handle with caution, and bring it on. I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. I have a plum stump fork that is cracking badly. I have some forty year old apricot that still cracks, but I know nothing of pistachio. Good luck! :eek::)
Bob

Dick Strauss
07-21-2009, 7:49 PM
Brian,
If you don't get any responses, do a search for it. I know there was someone on here that posted a pic of the item/wood. The particular piece I remember had all kind of hues including purple IIRC.

Brian Novotny
07-21-2009, 7:59 PM
some better than others. review all that has been said about avoiding cracking, handle with caution, and bring it on. I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. I have a plum stump fork that is cracking badly. I have some forty year old apricot that still cracks, but I know nothing of pistachio. Good luck! :eek::)
Bob

40 year old apricot???? You mean you've got apricot wood that's been casually lying around for 40 years? and if so wouldn't you expect it to deteriorate over 4 decades? In the right conditions wood has turned into soil in half that time!!!!!

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-21-2009, 8:13 PM
Yes, but it was a long time ago. As I remember, it was pretty nice wood, with lots of color and I don't remember that there was much cracking as with many fruit woods. I'd go for it.

Jarrod McGehee
07-21-2009, 8:19 PM
Go for it man, and I'm just an hour maybe hour and a half away from you if you need a hand cutting it or hauling it. I'd love to see what it looks like. let me know we can set up a time

Alec Moseley
07-21-2009, 9:14 PM
I had a nice pistachio blank a few years ago and it turned well, into a pretty bowl. I'd go for this.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I have turned it. Nice turning wood and I really haven't noticed it cracking much at all.

Paul Atkins
07-22-2009, 2:38 AM
Beautiful wood - hard as -----. Exotic looking. Go for the graft if it grafted. Sapwood is candy for the bugs, also shrinks alot more than the heart. Loves to crack, cut through center and dry it slowly. Turns great! Would make wonderful pens (I would imagine, never having made any).

john truman
07-28-2009, 5:49 PM
Brian, Did you end up buying this orchard?? I have been looking for pistachio. I'd like to give it a try. Will you sell some? How big are the trees?

Kyle Iwamoto
07-28-2009, 9:42 PM
I'd like to get some seeds to plant! I've always wanted a pistachio tree. PM me if you can get me some seeds please!