PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on router speeds

Louis Brandt
07-21-2009, 6:19 PM
Hello,

Ok, I know that this may be one of those questions where you may say, “just practice using your router with varying speeds, until you get the hang of it”, but I’ll ask anyway.

Being a newbie with routers, could you give me an idea of what approximate speeds I should be using with my Bosch 2 1/4 HP variable speed router, for these two tasks?

3/8 x 3/8 inch rabbet with 1/2 inch shank rabbeting bit in 1x poplar.
3/8 x 3/8 inch dado with 1/2 inch shank straight bit in 1x poplar.

I think that once I get used to using my new router, I won’t have to ask these type questions, but I would like to at least get started on the right foot.

If this is too stupid a question to be asking, please tell me. I can take criticism.

Thanks,
Louis

Jim McFarland
07-21-2009, 6:28 PM
Louis, using the table on the Newwoodworker site (which is courtesy of Infinity Tools) you can do those two tasks with your router on the maximum speed.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html

Andy Sowers
07-21-2009, 6:32 PM
Take a look at this Freud document...

http://www.tegstools.com/pdf/tips/speedchart.pdf

or more generically, here:

http://www.rockler.com/articles/display_article.cfm?story_id=135

this should have you more or less covered. BTW, this info is probably in your Freud variable speed router manual, and it is often supplied with the individual router bits.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2009, 6:48 PM
STOP IT~!!

It is all going to be about the Cutter, the Wood, the Rate of Feed.
Any answer that skirts those absolutely controlling factors will be bunk.
Except of course for the one that says try a few speeds and get the hang of it.
That latter is not bunk because it's letting you intuitively find the solution.

Think of it this way:
Person X wants to cut some substance and wants to know what speed to twirl the cutter but, he can not say:
1.) What the substance is
2.) what the cutter is like
3.) how he plans to feed the cutter

What sort of answer would you provide such a request?

(( was that too harsh~?))

Louis Brandt
07-21-2009, 6:57 PM
No, Cliff, that wasn't too harsh. I always appreciate input from members of this forum. As I say, I'm a newbie when it comes to routing (not a newbie to woodworking, just to routing). I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can, and I realize that not all questions have simple answers.
As always,
Thanks,
Louis

lowell holmes
07-21-2009, 7:35 PM
I adjust the speed on my routers according to the comfort level of what I'm doing. If I have a 1/4" diameter straight bit in the router, my speed will probably be faster than if I have a 1/2 x 1/2 rabbet bit going. Your machine should be able to tell you if your ok.

John Lucas
07-21-2009, 7:36 PM
The speed table suggested is just that. The bit manufacturers want their bits not to go too fast...where danger can lurk.
Imagine a 3.5" raised panel cutter running at 22,000. You can do it but the outside cutting edge of the bit is traveling very fast. Any imbalance will be noticeable before you will have a chance to react.
I always use the table speed as a starting point.