PDA

View Full Version : Finally- lathe upgrade

Bill Bolen
07-21-2009, 5:39 PM
Nova DVR
I have been hot to upgrade my lathe for a bit over a year now. I’ve saved most every dime that I made from selling my turnings and finally got enough together for the upgrade. I have lusted for the Mustard Monster so many of you have. However, lathe size and weight of the components and our possible move to a smaller place led me in a different direction. Weight and ease of relocating took the number one spot over mass. Sooo, when CSUSA sent out their email with a good deal on the Nova’s I went for it. Got the Nova DVR XP with free bed extension and SN2 chuck and insert. Over the last few weeks I realized that not only would my chucks no longer fit and need new inserts, my old tool rest’s used on the jet 1442 are to short to work on the new DVR. My trusty Longworth chuck has the 1”X8 nut inset into a piece of solid wood. Guess I will be making a new Longworth now! But what a fine machine this is. Runs strong and smooth. The swivel head is something I learned to love on the Jet and was happy that the Nova also had this. The only thing I have not been able to overcome is the lack of a remote on/off switch. Nova has been promising its availability since 2005 but never brought it forward. This is going to pose a problem for me as I do a lot of deep hollow forms and reaching for the headstock power switch has proven to be a bit scary! If any of you know which wire I will have to wire in series to get a simple on/off remote please let me know! As a ps, Roger with CSUSA was wonderful to work with on this purchase. He even made a follow up call the day after my scheduled delivery just to make sure the lathe had arrived and was what I had hoped for! OK, so on to the proof. No pic’s it didn’t happen?! I got the proof!
Starts with the delivery man chasing the lathe down my long steep drive then delivered into the garage for strip-down and movement to the basement shop. (thank God we have a walkout). The route through the woods with the various pieces and the final destination and setup. Thanks for looking…Bill…Ohh also thanks to Bernie on the measurements and some good DVR tips.

Bill Bolen
07-21-2009, 5:47 PM
These shots show the route through the woods to get down to my shop (now you see why the weight ? was so important) and final arrival and setup in the shop. I had sold my twin laser miter saw some weeks ago and decided to use the bench that saw was mounted on for the Nova. Complete with shavings from the required first "bonker"...Bill...

alex carey
07-21-2009, 5:52 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, I've only heard good things.

Hilel Salomon
07-21-2009, 5:54 PM
Bill,

I'm perhaps the last person in the world to give technical advice, but..... since the DVR (and I have one) suggests that you use a surge protector because it is computerized, wouldn't it be fairly easy to get a protector with a long cord and, when doing hf's, have the protector near you with an an/off switch. True, the DVR would revert to the original speed you set, but it sure would make it easier to turn it off.
Have fun,
Hilel

Brian Novotny
07-21-2009, 6:14 PM
Congrats!!! I'm a HUGE fan of Nova and Teknatool. I've always wanted that lathe and had a 1624. Still have 2 g3 chucks, and a sn2. I use the powergrip jaws for my hollow forms. Since I'm getting a 1442 do you have any accesories, like tool rests, or rest that you'd want to trade for the 25mm jaws (nova)? Or possibly trade a G3 chuck if you have alot of accesories for the 1442, I hate having to change jaws......

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2009, 6:18 PM
Bill - congrats on your new lathe! Looks like it should work great! Can't imagine wiring in a series on/off switch should pose much of a problem - worse case pull the front panel off the lathe and see how the on/off switch is hooked up.

Again - congrats on your new lathe! Have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2009, 6:47 PM
Congrats Bill on your new lathe. You are going to love it. I agree with Hilel and have a surge supressor on the advice of Tim Geist plugged into the wall and my lathe into it. Since day one for 2 1/2 yrs now I unplug my Nova whenever I leave the shop. We get a lot of lightening in this country and I don't want to buy it again. Have fun Bill.

John W Dixon
07-21-2009, 7:32 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Bill. Hope it serves you well.

John

robert hainstock
07-21-2009, 7:53 PM
I agree with others about the surge protector. Another electrical safety issue is to add another ground rod a few feet away from the first, but connected to the wire coming from it. Do not disconect the first one. :eek::eek::)
Bob

George Morris
07-21-2009, 8:27 PM
Congrats and good luck !! G

Dolan Brown
07-21-2009, 9:36 PM
Congrats William. I received ny NOVA DVR XP Monday and cleaned it up today and will begin mounting it tomorrow. Also got the good deal from CSUSA and also dealt with Roger...same good service and follow up call today.

Norm Zax
07-22-2009, 3:19 AM
Nothing sweeter than a delivery man/car approaching with a new machine/lathe! Sweeet!

Chris Rae
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey Bill, I upgraded to the Nova 1624 from a lathe with a 1x8 spindle. I got an adapter from CSA so I could use some of my accessories on the new lathe. My adapter is very nice and I've had no problems the times I've used it. It just sets you a little farther from the headstock. Luckily I have the modular tool rest system from WC, all I had to buy was a new post.