PDA

View Full Version : Turning a pedestal

Neal Addy
07-21-2009, 3:52 PM
New article posted for those who are interested.

Turning a Pedestal (http://www.nealaddy.org/node/50)

Hope you enjoy.

Chris Rae
07-21-2009, 4:08 PM
Thank you Neal!! That is a great article! I'd like to print it off for reference, I hope that's okay with you.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2009, 6:55 PM
Neal thanks for sharing. That is a wonderful article and will probably use your idea's and create one of my own.

robert hainstock
07-21-2009, 7:29 PM
I too sayThanks for posting. very useful. :D
Bob

Jeff Nicol
07-21-2009, 9:04 PM
Neal, Very nice little tutorial with great photos! I need to get some pedestals done for a few things and this will inspire me!

Jeff

Richard Madison
07-21-2009, 9:42 PM
Good job Neal. Thanks for posting this.

Wally Dickerman
07-21-2009, 9:48 PM
Great tutorial Neal. I've turned a fair number of pedestals but not many that are one piece. I've never tried using an expanding chuck method as you have. It obviously works well.

I have a question...do you do anything to the bottom beyond what we see in the pics?

I've found that getting good proportions on finials and pedestals can be very touchy. Are there some "rules" that you use?

Wally

Mark Hix
07-21-2009, 9:51 PM
thanks for posting this. If I ever master HF's, I will need something to put them on.

Neal Addy
07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks all! I appreciate the kind words.

Wally, interesting that you ask about working the bottom of the base. I didn't mention but I actually do sand it immediately after step 4 (before flipping it over for step 5). That's it's final state other than a signature. I typically don't worry about putting finish on the bottom.

You're also dead-on about good proportions. I have no rules other than working by eye. It's still something I struggle with. Sometimes they come out right and sometimes not. I wasn't very satisfied with the proportions on this piece. The pedestal could have been a 1/2" or so shorter.

I do study the work of Cindy and that Keith guy (;)). They know how to get proportions right every time.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Neal - great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out step by step! Love the photos! Sure were able to get crisp focus! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Jack Tyree
07-22-2009, 8:36 AM
What an inspiring article and the photos are great! I really like your designs and choices of contrasting woods.

Kirk Miller
07-22-2009, 3:34 PM
Awesome Tutorial Neal. I have a HF roughed out and had been considering putting it on a pedestal. This gives me a little more courage to attempt it. Thanks

Kirk