PDA

View Full Version : Over the stove Microvave...

Peter Stahl
07-21-2009, 1:30 PM
Do you have a brand you really like or hate? Mine still works but it 10 years old and the handle just came off, time for a new one. Looking to stay in the $200 - $300 range.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-21-2009, 2:27 PM
Peter...I'm on my third one. Getting 10 years out of yours is pretty good. My appliances are white, and, not all whites are white. So, this became a driver for the model I've bought.

In general, they all seem to be about the same regarding quality and features. No preference or brand loyalty by me.

-Jeff :)

Jerome Hanby
07-21-2009, 4:37 PM
BestBuy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9228463&type=product&id=1218062718160) has a Samsung for about $270. I installed it and it's the best Microwave we've ever had!

Larry Browning
07-21-2009, 6:27 PM
Do you have a brand you really like or hate? Mine still works but it 10 years old and the handle just came off, time for a new one. Looking to stay in the $200 - $300 range.

You guys must really be tough on microwaves. Ours is 12 years old, and the new is just now wearing off. I figure it should last at least another 12 years or so. Ours is a sears kenmore over the stove model. Of course we only use it to heat up cold coffee and an occasional can of soup. Oh yeah.. popcorn too.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2009, 7:11 PM

Thermadore has a microwave/convection oven they mount over their oven. I'm sure you can get it separately.

I like the one I got It's not even a year old yet so I haven't had the time to find it's flaws.

The convection component is nice as it lets you bake something using old fashioned heat while also using the main oven

glenn bradley
07-21-2009, 7:34 PM
I have had great luck with mine. Understanding that brand names mean so little anymore, it is a GE Spacemaker XL1800. It came with the house when I bought it 5 years ago and has never done anything other than what it is supposed to. I am a bachelor so it gets much more use than the "real" oven, that's for sure.

Paula Heriot
07-21-2009, 10:30 PM
My parents have a nice setup. Their range hood is a shelf that accommodates a large, standard microwave. The sides of the shelf are ductwork through which the hood vents. It's nice because you aren't locked into buying a more expensive, vented microwave. Sadly, I looked around and don't see anything like it available anymore.

Peter Stahl
07-22-2009, 2:00 PM
We looked at microwaves and we think we're going to go with the Kenmore. Salesman says they're made by samsung now. Thanks for all the replies. I think the handle failure on the handle on the one we have now was design flaw. But 10 years isn't bad either.

Eric Larsen
07-23-2009, 12:03 AM
My usual "Don't buy anything made by GE" applies here. I have an over the stove GE microwave. It sucks.

(Well actually, it DOESN'T suck. That's the problem. The vent feature is nigh useless. As usual, don't buy GE.)

I would rather take my chances with a Harbor Freight microwave (if they made one), than a GE product.

Steve Clardy
07-23-2009, 1:11 AM
We stick with Kenmore.

Started using Kenmore 36 years ago.

Andy Pedler
07-23-2009, 1:22 AM
We put in a Frigidaire microwave and range this year when we redid our kitchen. We shopped around a bit to figure out what features we like and didn't, but the microwaves were all pretty much the same, so it came down to Consumer Reports ratings and looks.

Frigidaire ranked the highest in initial quality and performance among all the major brands in the articles I found, and they had the features and price range we were looking for, and looked good. We're very happy so far.

Andy - Newark, CA

Gene Howe
07-24-2009, 7:10 PM
We put in a Frigidaire microwave and range this year when we redid our kitchen. We shopped around a bit to figure out what features we like and didn't, but the microwaves were all pretty much the same, so it came down to Consumer Reports ratings and looks.

Frigidaire ranked the highest in initial quality and performance among all the major brands in the articles I found, and they had the features and price range we were looking for, and looked good. We're very happy so far.

Andy - Newark, CA

Same here. Ours only about a year old. Like it just fine. Ventless but does the job of eliminating steam, smoke, frying odors. No complaints.
Edit. I remember that we paid around 200 for it from an appliance dealer.