PDA

View Full Version : Emmert patternmakers vise

David Gilbert
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I have no relationship with this post but thought some of you might be interested. The poster indicates that it was never used. It appears to be located in Rochester New York.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/1280947888.html

Cheers,
David

Tom Godley
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I believe this is a clone from Taiwan -- AMT made it.

Not sure what they went for new

Verne Mattson
07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
The new clones are $260 at Highland Hardware, FWIW

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2009, 7:14 PM
The new clones are $260 at Highland Hardware, FWIW

How big is that clone?
The Emmert Turtle back that Maloof had was HUMONGOUS or maybe GINORMOUS would be the better term.

george wilson
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
The clones are not as large as a real Emmert(unless they came in other sizes). I guess the clone is about 16" wide. Somehow I have never wanted an Emmert. I do a lot of my odd shaped work in one of those "universal" vises that sit on top of the bench,are cast iron,and have swiveling,wood lined jaws. Lots of musical instrument parts are tapered more than the Emmert will do.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2009, 9:14 AM
16" is pretty big.

I have been googling around looking for enough data on the emmert to build a knock off without casting iron.

george wilson
07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I haven't paid much attention to them except for a short look when they first came out. They could be 14".I just can't recall. Call a dealer and ask. Anyway,they aren't as large as the originals I've seen.

Don't forget about the Tucker vise,which Garrett Wade came out with many years ago. It is sort of like an Emmert. They are not too cheap.

If you wish to make a vise,look at the Tucker. It is probably easier to fabricate using 1/2" thick steel plate. The Tucker is diecast,but they claim it is stronger than cast iron. I believe in cast iron,myself. The way the jaw swivels for tapers is simpler than the Emmert,except you loosen 2 large socket head cap screws to swivel it.

Jon van der Linden
07-22-2009, 11:37 AM
The clones have 14" jaws. The originals came in different sizes, the No. 1 being 7"x18", and the No. 2 being 5"x14". Apparently the sizes did vary somewhat, I've seen measurements that are about 1/2" larger than that. The clones are copies of the No. 2.

Oliver and Kindt Collins also made this vise same vise. My understanding is that the most recent ones (Kindt Collins) have the best machining. There is also a newer version called the Hopewell vise that is supposed to be the ultimate version, available through CS Machinery. I've never even seen a picture of one though.

There is also an insert that allows for clamping of compound angles. Probably best seen in ads for the clones.

Bob Strawn
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I have the Highland Clone and I love it! It is a huge monstrosity of a vise, but it has been an important shop safety device. Being able to lock down an odd shape to work on saves fingers and blood.

I have details showing what it can do, that I posted on my blog. This is one of those tools that I use every time I do woodworking.

I recessed the vise into the table so I could use it as a face vise: http://toolmakingart.com/2008/09/18/setting-up-a-pattern-makers-vise/

Here are a few angles that the vise will let you use:
http://toolmakingart.com/2008/09/16/patternmakers-vise-can-give-you-some-new-angles/

http://toolmakingart.com/2008/09/22/even-more-tricks-the-pattern-makers-vise-can-do/

Bob

Luciano Burtini
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't forget about the Tucker vise,which Garrett Wade came out with many years ago. It is sort of like an Emmert. They are not too cheap.

Actually, I believe it was Lee Valley Tools that came out with the Tucker. They too have since discontinued sales of this vise. Too bad!

Dave Anderson NH
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Bob,

I have an original Emmert K-1 installed on my bench the same way you did yours, with the inner jaw recessed into the bench top. That was the way Emmert recommended that they be installed, though most folks don't want to deal with all of the extra work involved and leave the inner jaw proud of the bench edge.

Yes folks, Emmert did make both the size 1 and the size 2 in different variations over the years. I don't remember the website, but there is a type study avilable on line.

Bob Strawn
07-22-2009, 5:19 PM
Hi Bob,

I have an original Emmert K-1 installed on my bench the same way you did yours, with the inner jaw recessed into the bench top. That was the way Emmert recommended that they be installed, though most folks don't want to deal with all of the extra work involved and leave the inner jaw proud of the bench edge.

Yes folks, Emmert did make both the size 1 and the size 2 in different variations over the years. I don't remember the website, but there is a type study avilable on line.

Here I was thinking I was clever, and yet again just reinventing the wheel! :)

Bob

glenn bradley
07-22-2009, 6:35 PM
How big is that clone?
The Emmert Turtle back that Maloof had was HUMONGOUS or maybe GINORMOUS would be the better term.

13-3/4" x 5"