PDA

View Full Version : If you have read topic “Grizzly G0691 problem” PLEASE READ THIS!

Joe Hathcoat
07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
To all those who have read and/or responded to my thread about the arbor problem with the G0691 table saw. I am starting this new thread because I don’t want this announcement buried and lost in the original.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SAW! I AM AN IDIOT.

I WAS INSTALLING THE WASHER ON BACKWARDS!

There I said it now I will take whatever comes.

I want to apologize to Grizzly and everyone who read or replied for wasting their time and energy. I also request that the moderator if possible close and delete the entire thread.

I had it in my head that I was doing things right and let frustration cloud my reasoning skills.

Just ignore my posts from now on.

Sorry to everyone. :(

Michael Poller
07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I'll try and make you feel better, or at least know you aren't alone in making silly mistakes like this...

I had over a year of downtime riding my motorcycle after an accident. Took awhile to 'get back on the horse' but I did.

After sitting so long, carbs got gummed up. Had bike tuned up, carb cleaned and all fluids replaced at a shop. Ran beautifully.

A week later I go to start it for the first time after taking it home from the shop. Can't get it to start for the life of me!! Beautiful summer day, fresh gas and a bike that should work but won't.

Got it started and brought it back to the shop... let it cool down and showed them the problem.

The guy let out a small laugh, smiled, looked at me, set the choke into the right position and off I went. I was using the choke backwards, closing it when I thought I was opening it, opening it when I thought I was closing it.

By the time I put my gear back on and rode away, I saw the mechanic talking to a group of guys with nice bikes hanging out there and they were all laughing.

Your not alone in making mistakes like that!!

You can be sure I will never forget again the proper operation of the choke on my bike, and I am sure you will never forget the right direction to put the washer on the arbor!!

Joe Hathcoat
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the pick me up but i need to take my lumps and bumps for this one. I feel so stupid. I really don't like giving false impressions about things even if it is unintentional

Steve Kohn
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I just wanted to compliment you for 'fessing up' to your mistake. Takes a man to admit they made a simple mistake and apologize for it.

Besides the thread was interesting reading, especially the offers of help you got.

Joe Hathcoat
07-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I just wanted to compliment you for 'fessing up' to your mistake. Takes a man to admit they made a simple mistake and apologize for it.

Besides the thread was interesting reading, especially the offers of help you got.

Thank you Steve. I could'nt leave that one hanging out there. Just too much being said. You are correct about the offers, folks never cease to amaze.

Brian Kincaid
07-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Just recently this guy carefully marked and drilled pilot holes for a piano hinge on a project of mine and he drilled the pilot holes two sizes too large! What an idiot! I'd lock him out of the studio (garage) if I could but then I would never be able to use it.

:D Brian

Billy Chambless
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Not long ago I learned that circular saw blades don't work so good installed backward.

Nope. A guy who owns up when he's put his foot in it is worth listening to.

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Joe, I had a similar problem with my new saw.

I was installing the splitter/guard and couldn't get it to line up with the blade.

I called the retailer who passed my concern on to the manufacturer.

The service Technician from the manufacturer telephoned me to arrange an appointment for a free service call, and we were able to discern that the assembly instructions were for a right hand saw, and not applicable to a left tilt saw.

The square spacer went on the other side of the splitter, aligning it with the saw blade perfectly.

The service Tech then offered to come over anyway and install the guard and make sure I didn't have any other problems.

That was customer service, not the take apart a new machine yourself, and send us the part.

The company? General.

The saw was one of the first model 650 left tilts, and the manual left a lot to be desired, to say the least.

Fortunately their customer service was exactly what I would expect, and why I would buy another General machine in the blink of an eye.

I'm glad to hear that all is well for you, even if it's a bit embarrassing.

Regards, Rod.

Robert Reece
07-21-2009, 1:03 PM
It shows a lot about you that you owned up instead of just letting the other thread die. And I wouldn't get too upset at yourself. I've done a few of those things myself. Usually I have the wife look at it and confirm that I'm not missing something. As a total non-woodworker/non-mechanical person, she really brings the obvious to light many times.

Well let's see some sawdust coming off that saw now.

John Harden
07-21-2009, 1:26 PM
Dude, you're not the only one who has made silly mistakes. Don't ask me about the time I learned how a Festool circular saw is capable of cutting the cast iron top of a PM-66.

We've all been there.

Glad it all worked out.

Regards,

John

Irwin Fletcher
07-21-2009, 1:41 PM
From someone who's eaten his fair share of crow, good for you for admitting your mistake.

The only thing I'd make fun of you for is if your wife pointed out the mistake to you. That didn't happen did it? :)

Now, go and enjoy your new saw!!

george wilson
07-21-2009, 1:48 PM
Was it when I mentioned that I'd make the blade side of the washer hollow that you realized it was backwards? I commend you for admitting mistakes. I do that also. You can get flustered and mess up. It is also very possible for nearly anything to be wrong with Chinese machinery,though. Well,I guess I don't have to unpile my big lathe,which is currently behind 2 amplifiers and various other guitar stuff. Lately I've only used the Hardinge. Been doing some small work.

Larry Browning
07-21-2009, 2:20 PM
Many years ago I bought an attic fan. I spent several hours preparing to install it, including laying out and marking the ceiling for the cut out. Just before I started cutting the sheetrock I decided I would check the attic to make sure I was not going to cut into electric wires or anything else that would be in the way. Turns out the house didn't have an attic. Only about 6 to 8 inches between the ceiling joists and the roof. Man did I feel dumb. My wife told her best friend about it, whose husband was the editor of the local newspaper. He mentioned it in his column about the guy he knew that tried to install an attic fan in a house without an attic, and oh well.... Let's just say it wasn't one of my finer moments.

Cody Colston
07-21-2009, 2:25 PM
You are a stand up guy, Joe. Thanks for clearing up that issue and admitting your mistake. I'm not sure everyone would be man enough to do that on a public forum.

I'll bet you are glad that you decided not to ship the TS back, huh? That's a testament to going with a logical solution rather than being anal about a perceived problem. Good on ya.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-21-2009, 2:31 PM
If it was me, I would have said that I installed the washer in the correct direction, but the saw was delivered backwards.

-Jeff :)

David Giles
07-21-2009, 2:48 PM
Been there, done that. One of my life's mottos is:

Often wrong, never in doubt.

Which came from situations just like yours.

Michael Weber
07-21-2009, 3:02 PM
Honestly, I must be the only person here who has never made a mistake ;)

Paul Ryan
07-21-2009, 3:12 PM
Joe,

I couldn't tell you how many times I have made stupid mistakes, and insited I did it correctly until I was proven wrong. Mostly while working on machines. I put a timing belt on 180 degress off one time, off corse the car wouldn't start. I was besides myself. 6 hours work replacing the belt, now the car wont run. I knew I put it on correctly. It turned out I had used the wrong marks the cam sprockets turned the wrong way for a different motor. It was stupid stupid stupid.

At least you didn't realize it while attempting to repair the saw, or after talking grizzly into a new saw. Then you would have felt like a real horse's something.

Chip Lindley
07-21-2009, 3:13 PM
I respect a man for admitting his mistakes! Especially the *silly/stupid* ones! We better be able to laugh at ourselves, before we rag on the next guy!!

Paul Ryan
07-21-2009, 3:13 PM
Honestly, I must be the only person here who has never made a mistake ;)

No Michael,

You and my wife are the only people.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2009, 3:15 PM
Joe,

You aren't the first nor will you be the last to do something like this. The only people who don't, aren't doing anything.

Jason White
07-21-2009, 3:26 PM
Don't feel bad! Stuff like that happens to me ALL the time.

Now go enjoy your saw..... idiot! ;)

To all those who have read and/or responded to my thread about the arbor problem with the G0691 table saw. I am starting this new thread because I don’t want this announcement buried and lost in the original.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SAW! I AM AN IDIOT.

There I said it now I will take whatever comes.

I want to apologize to Grizzly and everyone who read or replied for wasting their time and energy. I also request that the moderator if possible close and delete the entire thread.

I had it in my head that I was doing things right and let frustration cloud my reasoning skills.

Sorry to everyone. :(

Joe Hathcoat
07-21-2009, 3:26 PM
Thanks all for the support. Did I say yet how great this community is?

George,

Your machining comment did send me over the edge. I had shown a friend of mine this morning (fresh pair of eyes) and he had me doubting myself and then you were the light coming on.

Thanks again everyone. Maybe I will be able to actually contribute here soon. :)

Jason White
07-21-2009, 3:28 PM
I bet it made a clean cut with no dust, though! :D

Dude, you're not the only one who has made silly mistakes. Don't ask me about the time I learned how a Festool circular saw is capable of cutting the cast iron top of a PM-66.

We've all been there.

Glad it all worked out.

Regards,

John

Michael Schwartz
07-21-2009, 3:32 PM
Have to say I got a laugh out of this, but I have had my fair share of mistakes too.

From leaving a bunch of 1/3 pine on my cast iron table saw top for 3 days and coming back do discover a nice diagonal stripe of rust, to wondering why a brand new compressor motor was overheating and belching out smoke (I overfilled the oil, which was clearly shown in the oil window)

Countless more, too many for this post.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-21-2009, 3:34 PM
Good job in admitting your error. That's awesome! Ditto on what everyone said about being a real man!
I've put on a blade teeth up on my band saw, cut some wood (yes it does cut). Kept thinking why is this NEW blade such a POS? CHECKED the blade. Cut MORE WOOD. Kept saying what a POS blade, rant rant. Went to change it out, FINALLY noticed the teeth.... Switched it, and WOW! blade is awesome when installed properly.:o

Mr. Jeff Smith
07-21-2009, 3:38 PM
Eh, don't worry about it.
Grizzly makes great stuff, but your mishap also demonstrates that even with documentation accidents occur. Goes to show that documentation can never be to clear!

glenn bradley
07-21-2009, 3:46 PM

I won't ignore your future posts. I think you'll find a few threads where we have all shared stories of a "whoops" gone terribly wrong. No worries. Thanks for clearing it up.

Charlie McGuire
07-21-2009, 3:54 PM
Two good outcomes.

You get a nice new working saw to play with.

Grizzly didn't ship a saw with a misthreaded arbor!

I couldn't begin to count the number of times, I've messed things up. It's the only way to learn I say :D

Bill Huber
07-21-2009, 4:02 PM
I don't make mistakes, I do make a few deviations from the norm.:rolleyes:

Well I have made one mistake, that was when I thought I made a mistake but it wasn't.

Lighting............. sap

Great to see you got the saw running, now go make some saw dust.

Dave Lehnert
07-21-2009, 4:04 PM
Glad you figured it out. Enjoy the saw.

Working in the customer service field myself. I would point out this is one example why a company will try to solve the problem the least expensive way possible. (AKA Jack the customer around) They may have had the same complaint 100 times and knew what the issue was.

Brian Kent
07-21-2009, 4:11 PM
Add one more (me) to the list of geniuses who tried to cut wood with the blade on backwards. It's loud, slow, and really hot! w

Carlos Alden
07-21-2009, 4:43 PM
Often I forget to think things through thoroughly, and then something doesn't work out. I'm glad to be reminded of this lesson! Your postings were valuable to many of us.

Carlos

John Adam
07-21-2009, 5:45 PM
Took delivery of a cool new Jet Jointer. Spent hours assembling cleaning and polishing it.

Turned it on and nothing. Checked the breaker, the internal fuse, disassembled the motor houseing and checked all the connections. I looked at the 'dust collector switch', which keeps the jointer from running without a dust collector - it was fine.

I got pretty mad, ignoring my wife's suggestion to calm down and maybe take a break.

Finally i remembered that I'd hooked all my tools through a set of switches to keep the kids from being able to come in and mess with the equipment. If the switches are off, nothing works.

Took me about an hour to put everything back together and about 3 weeks before I'd admit to anyone what happened.....

jerry nazard
07-21-2009, 6:28 PM
Thanks all for the support. Did I say yet how great this community is?

Thanks again everyone. Maybe I will be able to actually contribute here soon. :)

Sorry. You have already knocked one out of the ballpark. Every so often, we need a thread like this to remind us that we are all fallible human creatures. Thanks, Joe!

paul cottingham
07-21-2009, 7:20 PM
Thats OK, my first smoothing plane I fought with the blade for quite a while before I figured out that it was supposed to be bevel down.

Thanks for sharing, Joe.

Doh!

Jim O'Dell
07-21-2009, 7:45 PM
Glad to hear the saw is fine! We all make these little blunders. I'll not pass on any of mine!!! :rolleyes: Jim.

Jim Rimmer
07-21-2009, 8:47 PM
You can see a lot of confessions on this thread. I once bought a TS at Sears, took it home and laid out all the parts just to find that many were wrong or missing. Took it back and got another saw (no hassle) and discovered the same thing. Then discovered that the assembly manual was for two saw models and mine was a few pages over.

So, the point is, we all do it and it takes a stand up guy to admit it. Way to go.

george wilson
07-21-2009, 9:45 PM
I once had a student in woodworking. He came to me one day with the statement that he had discovered that if you put the sawblade on the tablesaw with the name on the outside(so you could read it),the blade would always be on the right way. I was occupied,and didn't pay much attention. A few minutes later,he was shoving a piece of wood through the saw with all his might,and lots of smoke was pouring out of the saw!

You'd think he would have taken the hint! The name was on the outside of the blade,but it was on backwards.

Steve Clardy
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM

We've all been there.

Glad it all worked out.

Regards,

John

A porter cable framing saw will also cut notches in cast iron tablesaw tops. :o

Larry Heflin
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I thought I made a mistake once; but I was wrong! :D

harry strasil
07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
DAA (Dumb Arse Attacks) are part of the learning curve called EXPERIENCE = One whale of a lot of mistakes. First time its Experience, second time for same thing is ________________.

A Very Experienced Person

ROY DICK
07-22-2009, 7:59 AM
I have been enrolled so may times in the IA 12 step program,that I got banned.
Way too many to list.

Roy

Kevin Godshall
07-22-2009, 8:07 AM
One reason I read thru all these posts, is that if I can read about someone else's mistakes or errors, hopefully it will keep me from making the same one. I will never know how many times I have been in the shop ready to do something and thought......"Hey, that guy on the Creek did this and this is what happened........."

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. – Henry Ford

Maybe change "failure" to "mistakes"?

glenn bradley
07-22-2009, 8:57 AM
One reason I read thru all these posts, is that if I can read about someone else's mistakes or errors, hopefully it will keep me from making the same one. I will never know how many times I have been in the shop ready to do something and thought......"Hey, that guy on the Creek did this and this is what happened........."

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. – Henry Ford

Maybe change "failure" to "mistakes"?

Here, here. I can't imagine the things I would have learned through error if not for the generous (and sometimes painfully funny) sharing or others here.

Alan Trout
07-22-2009, 9:32 AM
Joe, I really appreciate the fact you made the apology. It takes a big man and it was the right thing to do. I applaud your efforts.

I also think we can all learn from this. I read the first thread, every response. The Internet is a powerful tool and a company's reputation can be hurt very quickly with an inaccurate post on a public forum. These forums are so much like a family that most members never think that an issue can be a mistake rather most want to believe it is always the manufactures issue. A few of the post in the original thread had less than a friendly tone towards Grizzly. I hope that the old saying think before you speak can also be applied in these forums as think before you post. I think this is a lesson we can all take away from this.

I have made plenty of mistakes in my life and I am sure I will make many more. I come from a machine tool background, I worked as a field rep for a high end machine tool company for 5 years and I have seen every mistake in the book. I can honestly say that 99% of the time problems that my customers had were operator error rather than a machine problem. However I always treated them with respect and helped them solve any problems including proper training on use of their new piece of equipment.

Joe, I am really glad that it all worked out for you. I hope that you have many happy years with your new saw, and please don't ever hesitate to post a question. There is never a bad question only bad answers. ;)

Good Luck

Alan

John Callahan
07-22-2009, 9:35 AM
...................+1, Glenn. Shared experience helps us all.

Bill White
07-24-2009, 4:40 PM
Just so all of you know.......
I HAVE NEVER MADE A MISTAKE!!!!!
Do you believe me???? Hmmmm?
Bill ;)