PDA

View Full Version : Lv Shoulder plane question

Richard Magbanua
07-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I got my LV medium shoulder plane today from FedEx. It's my birthday present :D. I decided to get the LV over the LN mainly because of what seemed like everyone else's delight over how comfortable it is to hold. Top-notch quality and customer service should go without saying as this is not my first LV purchase. After trying it out for a half hour cleaning up some practice tenons and rabbets I was impressed with its performance but I must admit that it's not very comfortable to me. I find that the brass knob on the top is awkward and I've tried it in different positions. It was actually more comfortable when I didn't use it. So, I'm packing it up to send back and I may instead order the Lie-Nielsen version. Am I alone or has anyone else come to the same conclusion?

BTW, in case anyone wondered, LV ships its tools with easy to understand instructions for returns and provides for free postage. Thanks Lee Valley!

paul cottingham
07-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I was unhappy with the shouder plane at first as well, but now I love my LV shoulder. It really was just a matter of using it until I found a confortable way to hold it. (I know, not much help.) I have significant problems with pain in my hands, and my hands are big, but I am now very happy with it.

Mike Henderson
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I agree. Give yourself a bit of time before you send it back. I owned a couple of Record shoulder planes (same design as the LN) and found the LV was much better in my hand. If at all possible, try to get your hand on a LN or Record and see how it feels before you decide. Contact LV and tell them your concerns candidly, and tell them you want to feel a LN before you decide whether to keep the LV. I'll bet they work with you.

And it's very possible you'll prefer the LN. Everyone's different. But a lot of people who've tried both prefer the LV.

Mike

David Keller NC
07-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Just a vote in the opposite direction - I much prefer the Preston design (The design that Lie-Nielsen based theirs on). Part of that was based on trying out the grip on a L-V and deciding it wasn't for me, and part of it was based on aesthetics - I prefer a traditional design.

That said, the LV tool was of exceptional quality, and far, far better than the antique Stanleys I've had.

Richard Magbanua
07-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I did get to try out the LN at the Cincinnati show earlier this year. I remembered wondering why most people found it uncomfortable. I guess I figured that the LV design would be an amazing fit. I may take it out again later and give it another go.

Chris Friesen
07-21-2009, 1:19 PM
With the regular design you have to "pinch" it between your fingers. The through-hole on the LV avoids this problem.

Richard Magbanua
07-21-2009, 4:18 PM
Well, just dropped it off at the post office.

I called Woodcraft to see if they had the LN med shoulder plane in stock and they do. In fact, they told me that they have a 15% off sale this Friday/Saturday and even though the flyer says it doesn't include LN tools, they will be discounted 15% as well! Not bad. They are planning on another Lie-Nielsen sale in August (25, 26?) with 15% off.

This means I can get the LN shoulder plane for less than the LV.

I gotta get some side jobs done quick 'cause the 16" tenon saws will be coming in before the August sale. Well, if anyone needs me I'll be on the way down the slope!

Gary Benson
07-21-2009, 6:45 PM
Richard,
Don't feel bad. They are both great tools, but will only work if they work for you. I never really got comfortable with the LV either. Works great, well made, etc, etc. The LN just felt better to me as well. I got the small, but all sizes have a similar shape/hand position.
Gary

Cliff Polubinsky
07-21-2009, 7:01 PM
Richard,

I have the LN and I find it comfortable.

A bit off topic but I've been to that Woodcraft store when I've been down to visit my daughter and I swear you need a trail of breadcrumbs to figure out how to get to it!

Cliff

glenn bradley
07-21-2009, 7:47 PM
Any hand tool's "fit" is a personal thing. The LV medium fell right into my hand while the LN kept getting away from me. YMMV. I do put my ring finger in the hole and position the knob snug but not too tight so it resists but will move if required.

I am right handed but, so is my camera so, here's a pic in my left hand.

Barry Vabeach
07-21-2009, 8:55 PM
Richard, I got LV a few years and took the brass knob off with a day or two because I couldn't find a comfortable position. I use the LV all the time and love it. Try it without the knob and see what you think. The set screws on the sides are the cat's pajamas on a shoulder plane and I wouldn't want one without them.

Richard Magbanua
07-21-2009, 9:10 PM
Cliff, Indy's Woodcraft IS hard to find. I make it up there only every few months and I forget how to get there about every time. I wish someone would open one up in Greenwood.

Barry, I took the knob off and it did feel a bit better but the black back had a bit of a corner on it. I figured the brass knob was the main feature of this plane and it seemed silly to use the plane without it.

Gary, I thought about getting the small one instead of the medium. Do you feel happy with the small or do you wish you had gotten the medium?

Rob Lee
07-22-2009, 9:20 AM
(snip)

Gary, I thought about getting the small one instead of the medium. Do you feel happy with the small or do you wish you had gotten the medium?

Hi Richard -

We're just gearing up to release our small shoulder.... wanna try it?:cool:

Let me know - it's a different shape again....

Cheers -

Rob

Gary Benson
07-22-2009, 9:40 AM
Richard,
I do like the small for balance and control. 5/8's is a pretty big shoulder. I tend to use the router plane for trimming cheeks and cleaning dados, so wider is not really needed for me.
Gary

Richard Magbanua
07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Richard -

We're just gearing up to release our small shoulder.... wanna try it?:cool:

Let me know - it's a different shape again....

Cheers -

Rob

Ahhhh, there's da man!
Always around to push people like me down the slope, eh Rob!

I was wondering when the next big release was scheduled. I will be anxiously waiting.
What I'm really waiting to see is if there are any CARCASS/TENON SAWS on the way. I may get the Veritas dovetail saw and I'm sure it will need company with like saws :rolleyes:

In the meantime, feel free to share some early pictures of the new shoulder plane :)

Thank you (and Lee Valley)

Gary Benson
07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Richard,
I got to use the Veritas saw belonging to a friend. Say what you will, but it cuts nice, and I actually like the way it looks, plus the price is fantastic. Very attractive alternative. If Rob is able to bring out a whole line with cross-cut carcass, small to medium rip tenon, and even panel saws, it would be great.
Gary

Scott Mark
07-23-2009, 8:44 AM
Woo Hoo! Now I know what my next slip down the slope will be. Hope it hits that price performance dead on like the medium sized shoulder.

C. Scott Mark

Richard Dooling
07-23-2009, 9:25 AM
I also have the Veritas dovetail saw and like it very much. Even if/when I get into a more expensive saw I expect I’ll hold onto this one. Rob Lee and his team have figured out how to produce a great saw at an amazing price. BTW I like how it looks too and I especially like how the handle attaches.