PDA

View Full Version : Small wood gloat

Spence DePauw
09-01-2004, 9:21 PM
Woodcraft today had some quilted maple. Two peices followed me home. Don't know if I can stay away tomorrow, either... Not cheap, but still irresistable (obviously)

With pic, to satisfy gloat police.

Spence

Jim Becker
09-01-2004, 9:23 PM
Jeepers! MAJOR-LEAGUE nice quilted maple, Spence!! Whatever you paid, it was worth it. no question in my mind.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-01-2004, 9:27 PM
Spence, that is without a doubt, the coolest Quilted Maple I have ever laid my eyes on! :eek: WOW! I agree with Jim, no matter what the cost..........worth every dime! Any plans for it? It's almost TOO nice to use! :D

Spence DePauw
09-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Not cheap = $11.00/bf.

As to plans, I'm taking a class from Andy Rae in Nov to build the top part of his tool chest (on the front of his hand tool book). I can see this wood as drawer fronts for the inside drawers. Or lots of other things too. Deciding will be the hardest part.

Too bad I'm going to be near Woodcraft again tomorrow am for breakfast. Maybe more will follow me home?

Did I mention that the figure is on both sides! :D

Spence

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok Spence............................that's enough..............yer KILLIN' me here! :D Even if it meant gettin' on the bad side of the LOML, I would be getting as much of that as I could afford. A wonder of nature like that doesn't come along everyday. You gotta promise to post some pictures of whatever project utilizes this beautiful wood. MAN, that is NICE, NICE, NICE! :)

Terry Quiram
09-02-2004, 7:08 AM
Geeze Spence now I have to go to Woodcraft over lunch and exercise the Visa. Maybe I should call first to see if you left any. :D

Terry

Kurt Aebi
09-02-2004, 7:11 AM
Woa!!!!!!!!! Nice Haul.

It's a shame I live up here in No-Where Land. The Nearest Woodcraft is over 2-1/2 Hours away! Oh well I can still live Vicariously through others! LOL

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Spence DePauw
09-02-2004, 3:36 PM
Terry, I did get two more boards today, but there are still a few left. I think I did get the ones with figure on both sides. :D

There are still some nice sticks there, though.

Kevin, I will post pictures. In fact, I think I'm going to take a small pc from one end, and finish it now. I just can't wait for a real project... :)

Spence

Donnie Raines
09-02-2004, 3:40 PM
Spence,

if you do any resawing.....that stuff will go a lonnnnnnng way. This grade of quilt looks wonderful when book macthed.

James Carmichael
09-02-2004, 4:59 PM
Beautiful stuff, Spence. Thanks for sharing the pic. Now I gotta wipe this drool off my keyboard :p

Russell Svenningsen
09-02-2004, 5:12 PM
Beautiful wood! Nice haul.

Now for the stupid question of the day. I know what "figure" is(end grain showing up in the middle of a board), but what causes it?

Please enlighten me.

Also, is it possible to know there will be figure in a log by looking at the bark? How can you tell?

Thanks,
Russell

Chris Padilla
09-02-2004, 6:06 PM
Okay, nice wood but check it, Baby! :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7558

Jim Becker got to see this stuff in person...it is spectacular!

Russell: Mama nature has a hand in the figuring of the wood! It is mostly just how the tree grows and what the grain "decides" to do as the tree grows. They still don't know what causes the birdseyes in birdseye maple. Oh, change your sig, Cincy-boy! :D

Spence DePauw
09-02-2004, 8:10 PM
Donnie, I hope to be able to resaw. That's why I sorted out the peices with figure on both sides...

Russell, I have no idea what forms the great figure in some woods, I'm just glad it does!

Spence