PDA

View Full Version : Will paint gun handle oil primer?

Bob Slater
07-21-2009, 1:23 AM
Not quite a finishing question, but can anyone give me a quick answer. I need to paint a wooden celing (Joists and a subfloor) in my basement. I want to spray it. I have a good 60 gallon compressor, but are those Wagner electric spray guns better for household oil based primer? How would a box store spray gun work if that is preferable ?

Thanks, Bob.

Phil Phelps
07-21-2009, 6:48 AM
Yes, a gun will handle oil primer with the proper needle, but, I wouldn't spray it. You have no ventilation in a basement. If I could spray a ceiliing I would use an airless. I don't think I'd use an oil base primer with the ventilation problem you'll encounter. You can roll and brush the primer with better results. Bin makes a good water base primer. Ask your pro at the paint store for a more complete selection of primers.

Bob Slater
07-21-2009, 7:18 AM
Thanks Phil. I have a 3M full face respirator, would this not provide an acceptable level of protection? It will be very difficult and tedious to brush this area, as it is full of nooks and crannies, but if a respirator won't be safe , I will re think it.

Phil Phelps
07-21-2009, 8:28 AM
A respirator that blocks the fumes is essential, but with no ventilation, your eyes and skin are exposed. And the overspray could be overwheming. I still prefer the airless, but not with an alkyd primer, in this situation. I remember coating out grass cloth with a roller in a large living room with oil base primer, and it nearly did me in. And, I had windows open. I'd go with the water base primer. You could even do this with two coats of latex paint. Could you not roll most of it?

Bob Slater
07-21-2009, 9:38 AM
I would wear a Tyvek suit and my mask covers my whole face. I think I will use an airless gun and use the water based product you mention. Prepping this area yesterday has been about the dirtyest job I can remember ever doing (the house is 100 years old)

Ted Calver
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
thread drift.....we used to whitewash the barn...whatever happened to whitewash....it was easy to use??

Phil Phelps
07-21-2009, 6:11 PM
I would wear a Tyvek suit and my mask covers my whole face. I think I will use an airless gun and use the water based product you mention. Prepping this area yesterday has been about the dirtyest job I can remember ever doing (the house is 100 years old)
Well, alrighty then. The only thing I would suggest is that when you make a pass with the gun, release a moment and let the spray fall, then make another pass. This will cut down on the overspray and not create a fog. You'll do fine.