PDA

View Full Version : Jet parallel clamps

Robert Reece
07-21-2009, 12:00 AM
These things ever go on sale? I need some in the next month or two, so I can just pony up and get them or wait for some sale which may never come.

And what's up with Amazon selling a 2 pack of 50" clamps for $208????? A 2 pack of 60" clamps is $100. Guess I'll go for the 60s.

I noticed no other place really had 50s, so maybe it's supply and demand pricing.

Adam Wissman
07-21-2009, 12:23 AM
come to think about it i honestly have never see these on sale. clearance would be the only way i think you could get a deal on them IMHO.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-21-2009, 1:02 AM
I got them on sale at W/C. But that was a year or 2 ago. I think they're worth the extra couple bucks if you can't get them on sale.....

Russell Tribby
07-21-2009, 1:21 AM
My local Rockler carries them and they usually have a 20% off coupon that they send out once a month. If you live near a Rockler that's probably your best option.

John Loftis
07-21-2009, 2:18 AM
I don't know if Jets are interchangable with Bessey, but I just bought a four pack of the new Bessey Revo parallel clamps. Kit came with 2 50", 2 24", and 4 kp blocks. Amazon's regular price for the kit (w/ free shipping) is $160. Peachtree sold it for $125ish +$27 shipping (sale price).

FWIW,
John

NICK BARBOZA
07-21-2009, 7:28 AM
I got some of their cabinet door kits on sale at Rockler a few years ago. but lately i have just been loading up on some of the 12" and 24". Early this year on Amazon i did buy a pair of 98" ones that were cheaper than a pair of the 80" by nearly $75.

I'd say bite the bullet and buy them if you need them. otherwise as you said you might be waiting for the sale that never comes.

NWB

Robert Reece
07-21-2009, 8:50 AM
I noticed some posts from about two years ago where these things were selling on sale for about 1/2 what they go for now. I guess they were new then and now that everybody knows they are the cat's meow, the price is up and not coming down. It guess that is called business.

I'll just get the credit card out and do it.

Dave Sweeney
07-21-2009, 9:08 AM
Internationaltool.com is where I've gotten some of my Jet parallel clamps. Most of their orders qualify for a flat $6.99 shipping cost.

I'm always looking for a deal on these clamps and deals are few and far between. Prices at Amazon jump around like crazy and that $200 price today for the 51"ers will likely be $100 tomorrow.

Jim Foster
07-21-2009, 9:20 AM
I've bought the Bessey clamps from Grizzly, not sure if it's the best deal. I'm surpised the Jets are so much compared to the Bessey

Don Bullock
07-21-2009, 9:41 AM
I noticed some posts from about two years ago where these things were selling on sale for about 1/2 what they go for now. ...

A couple of years ago Jet ran a huge sale on all types of woodworking tools. Like Robert said, the clamps were about half what they are now.

I got some of their cabinet door kits on sale at Rockler a few years ago. ...

At the time Rockler had the kits for $99. It was a fantastic deal that I have not seen repeated. I bought two sets and use them a lot.

I wish now that I'd bought more of the Jet clamps on sale. At the time I didn't have the cash and I figured that they would go on sale before I needed them. They still might. Since I don't currently have a project that requires more clamps, I plan to wait for another sale.

Robert Reece
07-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Internationaltool.com is where I've gotten some of my Jet parallel clamps. Most of their orders qualify for a flat $6.99 shipping cost.

I'm always looking for a deal on these clamps and deals are few and far between. Prices at Amazon jump around like crazy and that $200 price today for the 51"ers will likely be $100 tomorrow.

This pricing is crazy. Internationaltool has so-so prices on the individual clamps and the cabinet set is fairly high at $184. I found it for $150 at toolking. HOWEVER - International has the 2 pack of 98" clamps for $72??? Amazon sells them for $181. I can't decide what I'd do with 98" clamps, but for that price I might have to jump. My shop ceiling isn't even that high.

Russell Tribby
07-21-2009, 10:20 AM
A couple of years ago Jet ran a huge sale on all types of woodworking tools. Like Robert said, the clamps were about half what they are now.

At the time Rockler had the kits for $99. It was a fantastic deal that I have not seen repeated. I bought two sets and use them a lot.

I wish now that I'd bought more of the Jet clamps on sale. At the time I didn't have the cash and I figured that they would go on sale before I needed them. They still might. Since I don't currently have a project that requires more clamps, I plan to wait for another sale.

Amen to that. I remember picking up a set and wish I had bought more. I ended up getting another set on amazon about a year ago for around $120 I think. Rockler also had 2 50's for $50 a couple of times and I was able to pick up two sets of those. I don't use them as often as I thought I would though.

Chris Kennedy
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Amen to that. I remember picking up a set and wish I had bought more. I ended up getting another set on amazon about a year ago for around $120 I think. Rockler also had 2 50's for $50 a couple of times and I was able to pick up two sets of those. I don't use them as often as I thought I would though.

I got my set at the same intro sale, and also wished that I had bought more. Rockler is having a 15% off sale through the end of the month, so that may ease the burden a little.

Cheers,

Chris

Bob Vallaster
07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I can't offer anything Jet specific.
If brand can be overlooked, Grizzly Outlet has Bessey K-body clamps (not Revo) in 12-, 50-, and 60-inch sizes at reasonable prices. The 50s run $32.05, plus shipping.
They also have some 60" Gross-Stabils.
Link: http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/category.aspx?key=140

BobV

Robert Reece
07-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I got my set at the same intro sale, and also wished that I had bought more. Rockler is having a 15% off sale through the end of the month, so that may ease the burden a little.

Cheers,

Chris

I looked at Rockler and don't see a 15% off. Is it a special offer by some secret code at checkout?

Robert Reece
07-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Looking around it seems the Jets are 20-25% more than the Bessey Revo clamps. I don't see that the Jet provides that kind of increased value. The only thing of value that I have seen referenced is the scale on the side. I can add that with a sharpie. I already have a few K Bodies, so maybe I'll just stick with those.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-21-2009, 2:22 PM
The side numbers is not the only feature on the Jet clamp. IMO the best feature is the trigger release. The clamp stays where you set it, and does not fall or move when you have the clamp upright. It's less "fussy" than trying to jiggle the clamp until it moves, or lift the handle. Just squueze the triger put the clamp where you want it, and it will not move. Maybe you don't want that, but I think it's a great feature to not have the clamp slam down on your finger :eek: when you put it upright....

Gary Muto
07-21-2009, 2:31 PM
It seems like Rockler has a sale that includes clamps every November-December. I think last year it was the jet clamps. The quick release lever makes them my favorite.

Jack Ellis
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I'd say if you need them soon, buy them. I've picked up most of mine used. I have Besseys, which I don;t care for as much, and Jorgensens that I really like.

Chris Kennedy
07-24-2009, 6:18 AM
They were advertising it in their catalogs, and I cannot find mine at the moment.

Try this: J9045.

Chris

Robert Reece
07-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Nice call Dave. Today the 50" clamps are $104. Half of what they wanted just a few days ago. I guess they didn't get any takers at $200+.