PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Lauderdale tourist attractions?

Kev Godwin
07-20-2009, 10:05 PM
This coming winter I will have 2 full days in Ft. Lauderdale, FL before getting on a cruise ship. I have been to several other cities in FL but not there.

I would appreciate any comments on sites to see or activities to do. Thanks in advance.
Kev

Eric Larsen
07-23-2009, 12:19 AM
FLL is OK. It's warm. But it's an Olive Garden and Walmart sort of town. Nothing special, in my opinion.

With 2 days, I would go to South Beach, or the Keys.

If it were me, I would drive straight to Key West (and stay with friends), go to the Mel Fisher museum, hang out at the Green Parrot, eat at B.O.'s Fishwagon, see Barry Cuda and Mike McCloud, and drive back.

If you can't bear the thought of a 200 mile one-way drive to Key West, you can always go to Islamorada. That will knock 160 miles off the round-trip. Hang out at the Lorelei, Hog Heaven, Holiday Isle, and do some snorkeling. If you have the means, you could get some fishing in. Islamorada has just about the best fishing on Earth.

Key Colony Beach, just north of Marathon, is slightly further down US1, and always a fun (and completely laid-back) time. Beware though, some people go to KCB and never go home. (Actually, the same can be said for Islamorada and Key West. I went there on vacation 20 years ago, and ended up spending 15 years there.)

Jim Becker
07-23-2009, 9:31 PM
I'd also suggest South Beach as well as exploring some of the Everglades park system on I-75 just west of Ft Lauderdale. You can often get a very nice airboat ride through the mangroves and see a lot of wonderful wildlife.