PDA

View Full Version : wixey depth gauge

Larry Craft
07-20-2009, 9:46 PM
Bought a Wixey at Woodcraft a few weeks ago and finally got around to installing it on a 15" jet planer. I looked at the installations others had sent in but did not want the gauge sticking up as high (above the machine). I studied the problem for awhile and came up with a way to install the thing lower down, per attached pictures. By the way, this thing is the cats meow. Boards come out within .001" of the Wixey setting, close enough for most woodwork.:p

Jerome Hanby
07-21-2009, 8:59 AM
If you had used a Harbor Freight Caliper, it would have been right on the money :p

Dave Verstraete
07-21-2009, 9:28 AM
Larry
Great install! I didn't like sticking it up in the air either. Here is the link to that thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1014945#poststop

I agree that it is a great addition to the planer. I don't have to worry about dimensions at the planer anymore. It is accurate.

Larry Craft
07-21-2009, 1:31 PM
Dave
I never saw your installation when it was posted. Your install looks more substantial than mine. I only saw the ones one the Wixey site and all of those were mounted above the planer. I miss a few days checking the Creek and a good ides gets lost! By the way the caliper is a HF and it is dead on with my Brown and Sharpe that cost 10 times as much. HF does have a good item occasionally.