PDA

View Full Version : Wood Photo Album

Cameron Leonard
07-20-2009, 2:26 PM
Do any of you have a plan or link for making my own photo album? My son will be graduating high school next year & I would like to make him a personalized photo album with a wood cover.

Thanks in advance

Cody Colston
07-20-2009, 2:59 PM
I don't have a plan or a link but I do have a pic of one I made for a Deer raising buddy.

Previously, I had made a large one that I needed at work and I just used the tools I had in the shop. Drilling a 1/8" hole through the center of the hinge knuckles was the most difficult part.

When I got ready to make the deer album, I ordered a Incra Hingecrafter. Drilling out the hinge knuckles is a piece of cake using it.

This one is made out of 1/2" Mesquite with a 1/4" plywood panel glued in the frame. The deer head was enlarged from one of his business cards, traced and cut out on the bandsaw and then sculpted with gouges and a file. It's simply applied to the panel. I took the binder rings out of a 2" binder that I had in the shop.

Dave Mura
07-20-2009, 3:43 PM
It looks really nice!

Cameron Leonard
07-21-2009, 1:53 PM
Cody, thanks for the reply. Your album looks really nice. Anyone else got any ideas???

Jim Podsedly
07-21-2009, 2:04 PM
I came across this page long ago and bookmarked it as a potential future project.

http://tomstudwell.com/Projects/AnnivAlbum/project.htm

Jim

Cameron Leonard
07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Jim, that’s an awesome tutorial. I may have to give it a try. Thanks!

Ryan Cassidy
07-22-2009, 10:51 AM
So I'm dying to ask.... What's the best way to drill the holes for the pins in the hinge?

Ryan

Cody Colston
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
So I'm dying to ask.... What's the best way to drill the holes for the pins in the hinge? Ryan

Very carefully!

The Incra Hingecrafter makes drilling the holes pretty easy, though. Prior to getting it I used some shop-made guides to help guide the bit through the center of the knuckles. It didn't work all that well.

Get a bit that will reach just past half-way of the hinge width and drill from both ends. Keeping the bit as short as possible will keep it more rigid and help keep it on track. Also, make sure the hinge area is end-grain or the kuckles will tend to split off as you tap the hinge pin through. Unless you have some really wide stock, you will have to glue a panel or a stile for the hinge.