PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Bandsaw Gloat

Darius Ferlas
07-20-2009, 12:14 PM
I was looking at a Laguna 14" at a good price but the deal was suspicious so I stayed away. I wiped my tears with a 4 year old General 90-125 in decent condition. It was a garage sale. So this is my first gloat.

The saw came with a riser kit (to increase resaw to 12"), mobile base, 4 blades, so and so miter gauge and a surprisingly decent stock fence. The table is 16" square. It's a 10/5amp (110/220) wired to 110 right now. The price was $250 CDN (about $220 USD). I see it new in local retail at $1000 to $1200.

This is my first bandsaw so I'm still learning but it seems the learning curve is not that steep. It's either that or the saw is good. A 6" resawing test of a piece of cherry went very well, and tolerances were within 0.02".

I drove 70 miles to get it and bring it home in my Sebring as I don't have a truck. It took just 2 hours to bring it to shine and I'm happy with it, especially after some test cuts. I was told all I need to do it change the blade guides to better ones and, once I know what I'm doing, get higher end blades.

David Hostetler
07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Install that riser block kit, order up some good blades, and replace the guide blocks with Cool blocks and you have a GREAT little saw for not a lot of money. Nice score!

Jerome Hanby
07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Congrats, great deal! I just spent in the same ballpark to order new tires and the riser kit for the used Rockwell I bought (and bounced) earlier.

Don Morris
07-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Moderate gloat? You've got to be kidding! I can't wait to see what you consider a great gloat.

Darius Ferlas
07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Moderate gloat? You've got to be kidding! I can't wait to see what you consider a great gloat.

That would be my wife of 20 years, and still good as new :)

As I said, I never owned a band saw before. In fact, until about a year ago I wasn't even aware things such as band saws existed, so I wasn't sure whether the deal was very good or just decent. I based the purchase decision on the brand name, some reviews and the spur of the moment.

I see some people use cool blocks and some opt of the ball bearing type of roller guides. I'm trying to feel my way through deciding which to get. General provides retrofit ball bearing guides for $77 CDN while cool blocks can be had for some $20.

David,

for now I can't see myself needing 12" resawing capability in the near future. Are there still benefits in installing the riser kit regardless?

Thank you all for reassuring posts.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-20-2009, 1:43 PM
Sweet gloat! Looks NEW!

IMO I would skip cool blocks and get Carter bearing guides. My .02. A tension release would be a good addition if it doesn't already have one.

Bruce Page
07-20-2009, 2:12 PM
Congrats!
It sounds like you got a fantastic deal on it.

Curt Harms
07-20-2009, 8:28 PM
I think it depends on what kind of sawing you do. I have a Rikon with ball bearing guides. They work fine with wider blades 1/4" and up but I'd prefer the cool block type guides for 1/4" and less--you can bury the blade in the guides if necessary. I have the Carter stabilizer. AFAIK it's the only game in town to run narrow blades on saws with ball bearing guides.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2009, 8:53 PM
Nothing moderate about this bandsaw gloat! Great saw....excellent price!

Myk Rian
07-20-2009, 10:25 PM
for now I can't see myself needing 12" resawing capability in the near future. Are there still benefits in installing the riser kit regardless?

Thank you all for reassuring posts.
Put the riser on and then start getting the blades. It makes no sense to buy blades now and then have them be too short when you do install it.

george wilson
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I see that saw has a solid all -the - way - around column like my old Delta. Not like the flimsey new deltas with an open side column. I've never bothered to change any of the guides on my saw.

I may be wrong,but those guide blocks with tiny ball bearings on their ends worry me. Those bearings must have to go VERY high rpm's in contact with the blades. I've seen small ball bearings fly apart when using the small roller attachment on my Wilton square wheel grinder. I wonder what class bearings they are? Class 7 would be very expensive,but 7's might be needed to put up with the rpm.

glenn bradley
07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Congrats. +1 on the cool blocks; they're inexpensive and work just fine.

Bill Borchardt
07-21-2009, 9:12 PM
Nice score!

I got a band saw two years ago and its a great tool.

Resawing is a blessing if you make boxes and once you get comfortable with cutting curves your work will gain much artistry.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA