PDA

View Full Version : Glinda

Glinda Fabok
07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm trying out my laser when I have time and having a lot of fun with it. Yes, I just purchased one in January and still have a full-time job so don't have much time to play with it so I'm still learning a lot. I drop in occasionally to see what everybody is chatting about. I do have a question though. How deep can a laser cut on a piece of granite? I have etched some photos on black granite with great results but how deep can you go on lettering? I have a Z series Pinnacle 40 watt and use it a 36 power for photos and 82 speed. Thanks for any information, Glinda:D

Frank Corker
07-20-2009, 1:49 PM
Hi Glinda, glad to hear you are enjoying lasering. How deep? Actuall as deep as the engravings you have already gone. That's it. Small scarring to the surface and no more.

Marc Myer
07-20-2009, 2:22 PM
And I'd add that a deeper engrave isn't really needed. I love doing granite, and the detail that comes from the shallow engraving is beautiful. Just engrave and color fill and enjoy. I've never had a customer notice the depth.

Glinda Fabok
07-20-2009, 2:34 PM
I have a local columbarium that would like me to laser etch the doors for them but asked if they might be just a little bit deeper. I wasn't sure if that was actually possible. I think it's more for asthetic reasons because the laser etching would probably work. I wasn't sure if you went up on the power if it actually went any deeper.

Gary Hair
07-20-2009, 3:01 PM
I wasn't sure if you went up on the power if it actually went any deeper.

Not at all. If you want any depth you need to sandblast/sandcarve.

Gary

Glinda Fabok
07-20-2009, 6:09 PM
I will sure try to encourage them that this way is better. Sandblasting never leaves the same detail in small lettering....

Gary Hair
07-21-2009, 1:26 PM
I will sure try to encourage them that this way is better. Sandblasting never leaves the same detail in small lettering....

That depends on who is doing the blasting and their equipment...

Mike Null
07-21-2009, 2:15 PM
Gary

Right on!

Glinda Fabok
07-21-2009, 3:13 PM
Me, and I need to get better at that too, I guess, I just like the flexibility with the laser, plus it's a lot less messy..just the girl in me I suppose