PDA

View Full Version : Any Magician Woodworkers here?

Stephen Sebeny
07-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi,

I'm just getting started with an interest in woodworking. (Don't even own any tools yet, just using the local community center woodshop for now.) But I have been involved with magic (as in card tricks and rabbits from hats, not occult) for years, and I was wondering if there were any other woodworkers here who are magicians. And if so, do you build any magic props? For about 6 years I was manufacturing the Torch to Rose sold in many magic shops (not wood working), but no longer produce it. However, I am thinking I may be interested in building some magic items as I build my woodworking skills.

Gene Howe
07-20-2009, 1:57 PM
I don't but, I'm interested too.
Table top only, though.

Stephen Sebeny
07-20-2009, 2:53 PM
I don't but, I'm interested too.
Table top only, though.

What items have you considered building Gene? (And in what corner of the world do you live? I'm in Ohio.)

The arm chopper is an item that I have always loved. I've owned three of them, admittedly cheap ones, and they never seem very sturdy. So I have considered making my own arm chopper. I've gone back and forth on whether or not to make the blade from wood or not. I could paint it to look like metal, which seems easier than tracking down someplace to make an appropriate blade.

I'd also really like to make some silk cabby's, and perhaps a table top size version of the tip-over trunk illusion (like for a rabbit).

Rich Engelhardt
07-22-2009, 7:14 AM
Hello,

In a little over two and a half years, I managed to change a healthy bank account into an odd assortment of tools I don't know how to use ;).
Does that count?
:D

Seriously, magic shows rock.
I despise those "show how it's done" programs with a passion.:mad:

I know it's all an illusion, but I'd prefer to ever wonder, "How'd he do that!?!?!".

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2009, 9:08 AM
just using the local community center woodshop for now.)

With schools tossing their shop programs from fear of liability and cost and more people seeming to prefer their video games to actually experiencing life I think it is pure magic that you or any one would have a "local community center woodshop" at all, in any form.

What community is this? Utopiaville?

Gene Howe
07-24-2009, 7:06 PM
What items have you considered building Gene? (And in what corner of the world do you live? I'm in Ohio.)

The arm chopper is an item that I have always loved. I've owned three of them, admittedly cheap ones, and they never seem very sturdy. So I have considered making my own arm chopper. I've gone back and forth on whether or not to make the blade from wood or not. I could paint it to look like metal, which seems easier than tracking down someplace to make an appropriate blade.

I'd also really like to make some silk cabby's, and perhaps a table top size version of the tip-over trunk illusion (like for a rabbit).

Frankly Stephan, I hadn't seriously considered building any be cause I've never seen plans that I was able to obtain.
I like box type illusions, though.
Gene

Paul Atkins
07-24-2009, 8:50 PM
Used to be an aspiring magician after I saw Blackstone when I was a kid. I got my first 'kit' from sending in Popcicle wrappers and wanted to put on a show the day it arrived. My mom persuaded me that I needed practice. My dad and I built a few tricks - magic dice box - card in a balloon trick -and a couple of other ones. I just found this one at the salvation army for a buck or two the other day and had to have it just for nostalgia. Probably not really functional though. Still have my Houdini books after 50 plus years.