PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Reverse Side of non-Symmetrical Shape

Ed Maloney
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi folks. I have a customer that would like to have two sides of an acrylic pendant engraved. Problem is the piece is not symmetrical so I can't just simply flip the piece over. I would have to flip the whole sheet but, of course, the original piece would not be in the same spot on the bed.

Any clue how I can get this done with not much effort?

I'm thinking maybe draw a rectangle the same size of the sheet, group the pendants with the rectangle, and then mirror the group?

Thanks!

Ed

Mike Null
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Ed

At least for me, it would be helpful to see what you're trying to do.

It does sound as though and end to end flip might work.

Dan Hintz
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Could you flip vertically, rather than horizontally, and still keep some alignment? What about a hole (not in the object), just realign to the hole when you flip?

Ed Maloney
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Ed

At least for me, it would be helpful to see what you're trying to do.

It does sound as though and end to end flip might work.

When I get back to the shop I will upload the image. Basically the left side has a triangle type of shape, while the right has an oval type.

Ed

Mike Null
07-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Then I think the end to end flip might work ok. You can always test with transfer paper.

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I just did a similar thing yesterday with two odd-sized pieces. I did two different things in order to flip and engrave on the reverse.

1. For the larger piece, I cut the shape out of a piece of poster paper the same size as the laser bed. Then after I engraved the front side, I placed a box the same size as the bed on my document. (Hint, DOUBLE-CLICK your rectangle tool on the toolbar and it will create a box the same size as the workspace and place it on the bottom of the Object Manger) After I created the box, I selected everything on the page, grouped them and then flipped it. I could then flip the poster paper in the same direction and know my alignment remained the same.

2. For the small piece, I cut a 2" x 2" box out of a piece of poster paper and kept it at the home position. I then cut the shape I needed in the poster paper and engraved and flipped as above while keeping everything in the home position.

Ed Maloney
07-20-2009, 2:19 PM
Thanks Mike. I was thinking around the same lines. Won't I have a problem if the material size isn't dead-on with the rectangle dimensions. I know the bed is 12x24, but the material isn't exact.

Now I know I should have paid attention in Geometry class!

Ed

Dee Gallo
07-20-2009, 3:19 PM
A pendant is a pretty small item. Couldn't you just make an outline and duplicate it so you have two of the same thing? Then, flip one.

Place them side by side and burn a template thing on a piece of paper to position them on.

Laser the first side, then do the second side after you move the piece to the other position. That way, you have exact registration. No guessing that way.

I've done some small things this way and it always worked for me as long as you don't move the template (I use magnets to hold it down).

cheers, dee

Ed Maloney
07-20-2009, 3:49 PM
Dee - Thanks! This is a great idea so when I have a smaller run with smaller items I will use this trick.

Ed

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-20-2009, 9:28 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is before flipping the grouped object, I add a second page and copy the graphic on to the second page. That way, I can still see the original layout and then move to page 2 to see the flipped version.

Won't I have a problem if the material size isn't dead-on with the rectangle dimensions. I know the bed is 12x24, but the material isn't exact.

I have always taken very detailed measurements or scanned the image so I had the outline to work with. I would suspect you need your material size to be as exact as possible.

The one reason I group my graphics with the rectangle is that sometimes when you flip/rotate and move things around without being tied into that rectangle, the graphics will become out of alignment. The rectangle forces it all to stay in alignment.

Dee Gallo
07-20-2009, 9:34 PM
Dee - Thanks! This is a great idea so when I have a smaller run with smaller items I will use this trick.

Ed

I also use double-faced tape to hold the item in place. That way, I can take the template out and reuse it. It's also easier to place the item on the template outside of the laser bed. Just make sure your paper/cardboard is exactly in the top left corner so you can replace it perfectly.

:) dee

Frank Corker
07-21-2009, 5:39 AM
Ed - the method described in detail by Dee is the best one to choose, I have done several items exactly in that way. Not really much point in me saying that but at least you know it's tried and tested.

Dan Hintz
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Also consider determining where the far right-hand edge of your table is (the portion the laser actually reaches). Once found, make a template that can be clamped down. Now when you flip a piece over, slide it completely to the right and use the upper right-hand corner as your new (0,0) point and reposition items to the left appropriately.

Ed Maloney
07-21-2009, 4:06 PM
Thanks for all the answers. I did a test run last night using the flip method.

I cut the shape first at the home position, and then flipped it with the new position on the far top right. It worked fine. Tonight I will be doing the production run. I'll let you know how things turned out.

I was trying to think of an economical way I could use Dee's method (and as endorsed by Frank), but I would end up using twice the amount of material. I have to engrave 20 ~2.5x2.5" items.

Dee Gallo
07-21-2009, 4:24 PM
So the economical way to do it is to make 20 on your document and 20 duplicates. Make the template and SAVE. Delete the outlines & second-side designs before you engrave the first side (placing the pendants in first-side spots).

Then, revert back to saved. Delete the outlines and first side designs. Place the pendants on the second-side spots. Engrave. Done!

Revert to saved before quitting so you have it for next time.

cheers, dee

Ed Maloney
07-24-2009, 7:22 AM
Well everything turned out fine. Made one additional mistake though. I centered the text for the back on the front. So when the flip came it was off-centered. No big deal though since I just ran one piece as a test.

Thanks all again!

Ed