PDA

View Full Version : Getting Perfect Bevels cuts off a TS

Andy Sowers
07-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi all

For all the box makers out there... how do you dial in your bevel cuts on your TS to get gap free mitered corners?

Me? I generally start with a bunch of scrap and by making several cuts on my crosscut sled. I keep fiddling through trial and error to finally get the angle set so that two mated pieces come to 90deg (as measured by an eng square). Problem is it can take awhile, and if you have to adjust the bevel angle on the TS for any reason, you've got to start all over again...

I've been wondering if a Wixey or Beall digital angle finder could be used instead of all this hunting and pecking... certainly would be a TON faster! What do you use?

Thanks

Andy

Jamie Buxton
07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
My table saw has a adjustable stops at 0 degrees bevel and 45 degrees bevel. I thought most saws have that. I went through the fussy procedure you describe once, set the stops, and have never touched them since.

Rod Sheridan
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm with Jamie, I set the stops on my TS and they haven't moved........Rod.

Glen Blanchard
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't use the stops and have never set them. I have found that the tilt of the blade can vary depending how much force is used against the stop. I use the Wixey and just feel like I am dialed in when using it and don't have to worry about if I used the proper cranking force against the table saw stop.

Rod Sheridan
07-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Glen, must be a different saw, or you're a LOT stronger than I am.

When I crank the tilt handwheel on my saw it goes THUNK against the stop and doesn't budge after that no matter how hard you turn the wheel.

Regards, Rod.

Glen Blanchard
07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Glen, must be a different saw, or you're a LOT stronger than I am.

When I crank the tilt handwheel on my saw it goes THUNK against the stop and doesn't budge after that no matter how hard you turn the wheel.

Regards, Rod.

Rod, I'm not talking about a lot here.....perhaps only a tenth of a degree. I just feel more confident using the Wixey.

Jerome Hanby
07-20-2009, 1:17 PM
I use the Beall tilt box, only got it because the sale price made it a bit cheaper than the Wixey, i think they are both equally excellent devices. I just don't trust myself to get a setting right on the money first time out, so I find the gizmos reassuring.

Lee Schierer
07-20-2009, 2:23 PM
I have a Beall Tilt Box and it is a very handy tool. No more guess work for angles and you can get back to exactly the same angle if you need to.

It also works great for aligning bandsaw tables, jointer fences, etc.

Andy Sowers
07-20-2009, 3:04 PM
thanks Jamie, Rod, and Glen! Actually, I recenty upgraded my TS to a full fledged cab saw. Everything up til now on the new saw has been strictly at 90deg so I've not tested the repeatibility of the 90 and 45deg stops.

My old TS was a Bosch jobsite saw, and I didnt have the best of luck using the stops... maybe its because sawdust built up somewhere... I dont know.

Sounds like the digital gizmos are nice to have, and could potentially save some time in the setup of "arbitrary" angles (eg not necessarily 90 or 45deg).

Glen, Lee, and Jerome has resolution of these units (+/- 0.1deg) ever caused anyone grief? Just dont want any open miters...

Thanks

andy

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-20-2009, 3:28 PM
Most folks build a dead on sled that uses both table saw Guide Tracks
I use my slider. Set it to the angle I want and don't even bother to check it. It's dead on every time. For Saw blade angles I use the Beal Tilt Box.

Jerome Hanby
07-20-2009, 3:57 PM
Hasn't caused me problems, but I may not be the best source of information. Getting within .1 degrees is so much better than all of my other operations that it seems perfect:eek:

thanks Jamie, Rod, and Glen! Actually, I recenty upgraded my TS to a full fledged cab saw. Everything up til now on the new saw has been strictly at 90deg so I've not tested the repeatibility of the 90 and 45deg stops.

My old TS was a Bosch jobsite saw, and I didnt have the best of luck using the stops... maybe its because sawdust built up somewhere... I dont know.

Sounds like the digital gizmos are nice to have, and could potentially save some time in the setup of "arbitrary" angles (eg not necessarily 90 or 45deg).

Glen, Lee, and Jerome has resolution of these units (+/- 0.1deg) ever caused anyone grief? Just dont want any open miters...

Thanks

andy

Lee Schierer
07-21-2009, 8:38 AM

Thanks

andy

0.1 degrees is pretty close and a lot closer than you will get with most other methods for set up for bevel cuts.

Andy Sowers
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys!

I was also considering using my TS-aligner jr gizmo to set the angle (which i use to align the blade to the miter slots etc). The TS-aligner manufacterer claims a resolution of 0.057deg, but in order to use it for that purpose, I'd have to get a reference angle gauge block which I dont have. I'm not exactly sure where to find those for a price which is less than the Wixey/Beall.

I think I'm just going to go with the Wixey or Beall angle gizmo and be done with it!

Andy

Glen Blanchard
07-21-2009, 1:07 PM
Andy - I have the TS Aligner Jr. also. I don't use it, however, for setting the blade angle for bevel cuts. The Wixey is just too simple and convenient and fast.

Lee Schierer
07-21-2009, 1:18 PM
Thanks guys!
I think I'm just going to go with the Wixey or Beall angle gizmo and be done with it!

Andy

What made up my mind when I was looking was the choice of batteries. The Beall uses a standard 9 volt battery. The Wixey uses the smaller button type batteries. I chose the Beall. Also the Beall has a metal case, which may hold up better in the long run.

Bill Huber
07-21-2009, 1:43 PM
With small boxes I will set the blade at 45 degrees with my triangle and then make one cut on one side of the blade and the mate to the cut on the other side of the blade.

So if I am off a degree it makes no difference, it will still fit together nice and square.

Now this is assuming your table saw is flat, 44 degrees + 46 degrees is still 90 degrees, even 50 degrees + 40 degrees is 90, but it looks a little funny.