PDA

View Full Version : Got my hollowing rig.

Alan Trout
07-19-2009, 9:52 PM
I ordered my articulated hollowing rig about 8 weeks or so ago from Randy at Monster Tool. I know he had been real busy leading up to the National Symposium and I was not in a real hurry. The heat this summer has been pretty stifling and my shop is not air conditioned so when it is 100 degrees outside it is about 90+ degrees in the shop so I have not been to enthused about turning. I work in the heat all day so I like to relax in a nice cool room.

The hollowing rig showed up about last weekend but today was the first chance I had to put it on the machine to figure out how the unit really functions. So far I really like what I see. Everything looks of very good quality and very nice workmanship. I really like how the laser attaches, it seems much better than other laser arrangements that I have seen. It is also very easy to adjust. The entire setup seems as if it will really be user friendly.

Something else I have noticed, and like is the way that Randy markets his products. He sells it as a complete setup so pretty much when you get the hollowing ring everything is there to use the tool. It is amazing the amount of tooling this thing comes with. Nothing else really needed to be successful accept time, wood, and patience. I really look forward to getting a chance to use it.

The gloat part this is that I noticed that I beat a price increase of about $30.:D

Here are a few pics of the setup.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2009, 9:57 PM
Alan - congrats on your new hollowing system! I've had my articulated arm system for a while now and still love how smooth it makes the entire hollowing process! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some hollow forms real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Alan congrats on the new unit. I also have that unit as well as his captured unit. Both have there places but use the articulating arm most times. You are going to love it. Yes I loved the fact it is complete and you don't have to buy bits and pieces.

Chris Haas
07-20-2009, 7:30 AM
+1 on the complete system. you will not get nickle and dimed from monster tool. also, just as a heads up, you need to sharpen all of the tips just as you would any other tool. for some reason when i got mine i forgot about that until i was on my 2nd HF and once i sharpened, it got a lot easier. also take it slow when trying to figure out the right toolrest height for removing the "nub" at the center of the turning. otherwise the tool can get caught under it and make a real mess of a catch. good luck, great tool.