PDA

View Full Version : Book: Three Cups of Tea

Chris Kennedy
07-19-2009, 8:55 PM
Every year, the incoming students at my university have a required reading. This year it was a book called "Three Cups of Tea" by Mortenson and Relin.

If you have time, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to get a copy and read it. To describe it one sentence, it is about Greg Mortenson, who builds schools in rural Pakistan and Afghanistan.

A one sentence description cannot do it justice. It is an incredibly interesting book. Mortenson is a mountain climber who literally stumbled into a Baltistan village in Pakistan, and he promised to build them a school after the village elder helped him recover after a harrowing rescue of a fellow climber. What he goes through to build that school and then others is fascinating, especially with the geopolitical landscape he is working in (Pakistan from about 1993 through the current day, and Afghanistan, mostly post-Taliban).

I will admit that I approached this book with a fair bit of trepidation, and honestly, I feel stupid for my trepidation in hindsight. It is not only very interesting to read, but it is a well-written book. The people in it are amazing and inspiring. I cannot recommend it enough.

Cheers,

Chris