PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to tell when to change planer/jointer blades?

Dick Sylvan
07-19-2009, 8:21 PM
It has always been sort of a guess for me.

Bill Huber
07-19-2009, 9:02 PM
When they get dull....:rolleyes:

I just go by the cut, if it is smooth then I don't mess with them. But I am sure that someone else will give you a better answer.

Peter Quinn
07-19-2009, 9:12 PM
I use the same strategy as Bill!:cool: Sometimes they develop nicks that make it obvious. But more often I start to get tear out that I wasn't expecting, or on the jointer it becomes a bit harder to advance the stock, it pushes back a bit harder than normal. Or some times chatter starts to occur that I perceive as not normal. You can run your finger tip over the back of the blades to see if the steel is starting to roll a burr over on the edge (do this with caution and the thing unplugged).

Mark Berenbrok
07-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Besides the usual nicks, the feed rate on my planer slows considerably when the blades start to get dull. Make sure the rollers and bed are clean. I treat the bed with Topcoat after cleaning it with mineral spirits. If it gets to the point where you have to pull the stock thru and the rollers and bed are clean, its time to change the knives. New knives give you crisp uniform shavings and stock feeds thru smoothly.

Brian Jarnell
07-20-2009, 1:32 AM
I have been buzzing American oak on my jointer,it has stared to bounce the timber,so alas it change the knives.

Joe Scharle
07-20-2009, 7:56 AM
Besides the usual nicks, the feed rate on my planer slows considerably when the blades start to get dull. Make sure the rollers and bed are clean. I treat the bed with Topcoat after cleaning it with mineral spirits. If it gets to the point where you have to pull the stock thru and the rollers and bed are clean, its time to change the knives. New knives give you crisp uniform shavings and stock feeds thru smoothly.

Good advice there. Although Mark didn't mention it, also clean any accumulated gunk from the cutters first, as well. Mine are easy to remove/replace (DW735) and I've had to clean resin off many times.

Tim Cleary
07-20-2009, 6:19 PM
Any suggestions for sources for jointer blades? If I have 6 1/4 inch Ryobi, is that all I need to know, or does it differ by model # or something?

Thanks

Steve Clardy
07-20-2009, 6:43 PM
I can tell by the sound of my 20" planer when it needs a blade change.

Curt Harms
07-20-2009, 7:23 PM
Any suggestions for sources for jointer blades? If I have 6 1/4 inch Ryobi, is that all I need to know, or does it differ by model # or something?

Thanks

Length, width & thickness. You might check Amazon, I got a Freud set there pretty reasonable. Any of the sharpening services e.g. Dynamic Saw, Ballew Tool etc. would likely be able to help you out. You might check with infinity tool as well.

Barry Vabeach
07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Tim, there are three measurements, thickness - (which is almost, but not always- 1/8), width, and length. Get your 2 other measurements and check and see if it is listed. I use Holbren http://www.holbren.com/jointer-planer-knives/

If you don't see it listed, send an email to them, they found a very uncommon size for me and I got a very good price.