PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Rare Earth Magnets.

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 1:00 PM
I am in desperate need of about 6 REM's for this box project. I found the ones I needed at Lee Valley and ordered them, BUT.....they only ship magnets via UPS GROUND and I won't get them until AFTER the box and knife are shipped out for professional photography.

I'm looking for 1/4" by 1/10" Round REM's. If you have 4 of these babies and can get them to me....I'll paypal ya the money.

nic obie
09-01-2004, 1:13 PM
Dennis,

You might try a computer repair shop. I know a guy who takes them out of trashed hard drives.

Dan Mages
09-01-2004, 1:14 PM
Rocklers cary them, but they are out of stock on the smaller magnets
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?sku=10713&filter=rare%20earth%20magnets

Dan

larry merlau
09-01-2004, 1:15 PM
I am in desperate need of about 6 REM's for this box project. I found the ones I needed at Lee Valley and ordered them, BUT.....they only ship magnets via UPS GROUND and I won't get them until AFTER the box and knife are shipped out for professional photography.

I'm looking for 1/4" by 1/10" Round REM's. If you have 4 of these babies and can get them to me....I'll paypal ya the money.

i was told at the 5 barns picnic that old computers have them in the hard drives dennis and possible you could save your self some money. am not sure if you can cut them down and still have them work though. but there are alot of old puters out there being trashed

larry merlau
09-01-2004, 1:20 PM
what is the norm for a biesmer fence to measure at say 48 inches is normal to be outa whack at that distance by 1/32 to 1/16 at the far end and and be on at the shorter distances? also that everlast blade you suggested to john miliuans what model are you refering to and what price or distributor? thanks didnt mean to interupt your quest. thanks for your help

Bobby McCarley
09-01-2004, 1:32 PM
Dennis,
If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby in your area, check with them. I have picked up REM's from them but not sure if all stores carry them.

Good luck with the box, from what I seen of past work it will be top notch.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Royce Meritt
09-01-2004, 1:37 PM
Another place you might check (if you have time) is McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com. They have all sizes in stock. Any time I've ordered from them I have received my order in no more than 2 days. Sometimes I've placed an order by noon and it has been waiting for me when I get home the next day. The speed of there shipping amazes me.

Kevin Brown
09-01-2004, 1:57 PM
Dennis

I have some of those REM's

I sent you an email.

Chris Padilla
09-01-2004, 2:00 PM
eBay, Baby, eBay. There is some outfit called KJ magnetics or something like that. They sell off and on eBay.

Jim Becker
09-01-2004, 2:13 PM
I have plenty of them (1/4"), Dennis, but I'm not getting home from Dallas until late tomorrow night--which would mean either very expensive Saturday delivery or more likely, delivery Tuesday due to the holiday...about the same time as from Lee Valley's US distribution point in NY state. Check with any local "hobby shops" as they may stock REMs in small sizes.

Wes Bischel
09-01-2004, 2:13 PM
What Chris said. Let them know of your rush - they should be able to take care of you.
Good luck,
Wes

K&J Magnetics, Inc.
800 Sweetbriar Dr.
Suite 100
Warminster, PA 18974

ContactUs@kjmagnetics.com

www.kjmagnetics.com

Fax#: (215) 322-1904

Phone isn't manned full time.

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 2:20 PM
Dennis

I have some of those REM's

I sent you an email.

You have an email in route to you NOW!!!! :eek: :D

Martin Shupe
09-01-2004, 2:25 PM
Dennis,

FYI, the reason LV only ships them by ground is that they may, if they are strong enough and put in the wrong place, affect the compass systems on an aircraft. That is not a problem on newer aircraft that have an inertial navigation or GPS based Flight Management System, but older 727's, for example, still navigate from compass systems that could be affected. For this reason, I believe FedEx classifies magnets as "hazardous cargo", and adds a significant upcharge to the shipment.

Incidentally, the fine for shipping undeclared haz is $10,000 per violation, not that anyone here would try that.

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 2:31 PM
Dennis,
If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby in your area, check with them. I have picked up REM's from them but not sure if all stores carry them.

Good luck with the box, from what I seen of past work it will be top notch.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Bobby,

I have searched the local Hobby Lobby and checked in Little Rock at the Mardel's there. No such luck. I have them ordered from LV, but I can't wait until next week before I get a few to finish the interior layout of the knife box. I'll show all of you what I'm talking about tomorrow in the <b>Day 3</b> project posting. :eek:

I have 7 days left to get this baby FINISHED. Next Thursday is supposed to be delivery day.!!!!

Kevin Brown
09-01-2004, 3:01 PM
Dennis

I need your address :D

Steve Beadle
09-01-2004, 3:08 PM
i was told at the 5 barns picnic that old computers have them in the hard drives dennis and possible you could save your self some money. am not sure if you can cut them down and still have them work though. but there are alot of old puters out there being trashed

The only hard drive I scavenged of its REMs gave me some powerfull kidney-shaped ones, not round. And they seem to break into pieces rather easily.

Jack Wood
09-01-2004, 7:12 PM
REM is a rock group isn't it? :D Ok Dennis what are you going to do with these and how are they different from "regular" magnets? :confused: Thanks for bringing a little bit of light on to this for me!

Chris Padilla
09-01-2004, 7:27 PM
Jack,

Go to K&J Magnetics web site posted by Wes and do some readin' up! :) You'll learn a lot about rare-earth magnets and their qualities.

Funny, I always thought REM was rapid eye movement...as in REM sleep! :D

Mark Patoka
09-02-2004, 8:51 AM
Do you have a Woodcraft nearby? The one by me carries them. Might want to check them out if possible.

Jack Wood
09-02-2004, 6:16 PM
AWW come on Chris don't make me actually read about them!:D Just the "skinny" on them if you can:rolleyes:

larry merlau
09-03-2004, 7:52 AM
AWW come on Chris don't make me actually read about them!:D Just the "skinny" on them if you can:rolleyes:

actually you should i did and was very enlightned. i knew of them but not about them, now i know about them as well?

Ken Garlock
09-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Check out Hartville Tool, they have an excellent assortment and mountings :)
Hartville Tool Magnets (http://www.hartvilletool.com/prodlist.php?category=magnets/cups/washers&PHPSESSID=6574be8c5916446d1a5117b797ee6582)

Dennis Peacock
09-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks to a fellow SMC'er...who already had some at home and offered to ship me 4 of these babies overnight :eek: I now have 4 REM's to make up the closure setup for this knife box. I still have my original order from LV on the way where I "ordered" the REM's from them.

Day 4 post will be made later today.

Robert Cox
09-03-2004, 1:36 PM
Radio Shack has just what you need.

I get quite a few from old Hard Drives. Hard to cut to shape. You'd have to grind them.

And if you use them whole for refrigerator magnets you have to slide the papers off the edge.

Oh yeah, 2 of them will get you a blood blister....

Lincoln Myers
09-03-2004, 3:07 PM
For those interested, I found this eBay seller very nice to deal with. I have placed a couple orders with him in the past year. No relation except that I am a satisfied customer and thought I'd share the resource.

http://stores.ebay.com/Forcefield-Magnets_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

Have a great / safe weekend. Linc.