PDA

View Full Version : Sawing water heater tank

Pete Kurki
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Somebody gave me an interesting idea for using my expired 60 gal electric water heater as a compost tumbler. The idea would be to cut a square opening on the side and put a lid on it with hinges. The tank will be hung with a metal pipe "axle" up in the air so that it can be turned to help aerate the compost.

Here is my question: How difficult of a job will it be to cut the lid opening into the tank? What kind of a tool might work for it? Drill holes in the corners and saw with sawzall from corner to corner? Just trying to avoid a potentially frustrating trial and error experience in the case someone has some good advice.

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Is the tank glass or metal? That could have an effect on the outcome and method used to cut.

Gary Click
07-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Use a circular saw with an abrasive blade. I have used these to open 250 Gallon Propane tanks (after washing out of course) to make bar-b-cues for our church and have used these for cutting 1"x8" steel bars with more precision than I can cut with a torch.

Take it easy and set the depth to cut about 1/8" at a time.

Pete Kurki
07-19-2009, 9:29 AM
Is the tank glass or metal? That could have an effect on the outcome and method used to cut.

I was not aware that there are glass tanks in water heater. Anyway, it that is the case with this one I don't think it will work for the composter, so let's continue with an assumption that it is metal.

David G Baker
07-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a large composter that is made from plastic and it works fine. I think that Ken might have meant fiberglass but I lead a sheltered life and could be wrong. If your tank is fiberglass then you are good to go, if it is steel then Gary C has good advice.

Jerry Bruette
07-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Metal tank could be glass lined, it helps stop mineral build up and rust through. Cutting torch would be easiest way to cut if you have access to one.

Or you could get a plastic 55 gallon barrel and use that. It would be much easier to work with and never rust out IMO.

Jerry

Frank Hagan
07-19-2009, 1:10 PM
Most water heater tanks are steel with a "glass" lining ... really a ceramic coating less than 1/8" thick. You'll be able to cut through it easily.

I'm not sure this is worth the trouble. The tank is several inches in diameter smaller than the casing you see due to the insulation. And it will be a lot of work. A plastic tank is a good idea. You can often get heavy weight plastic drums from supply houses pretty cheaply; there's a guy on CL here who sells them for $20, complete with lids.

David G Baker
07-19-2009, 1:40 PM
I agree with using a plastic 55 gallon drum, much easier to work with and as has been written, will not corrode.
I didn't know about the glass lining, been years since I cut into one.
Sounds like a trip to the local land fill may be a good idea.

Pete Kurki
07-19-2009, 3:23 PM
Didn't think about the weight. It has been a while since I last had to lift one. Really sounds like a plastic drum is the way to go. Thanks for all the input guys!