PDA

View Full Version : USA Made Wood Gift boxes?

Joe Baker
07-18-2009, 9:14 PM
Anyone know where i can find some USA made wooden gift boxes? Need various sizes (example 5" X 5" X 2"). Need a steady source. I have seen the cheap ones from Don Mechanic (China made). I would rather pay more for a nice USA line

Dee Gallo
07-18-2009, 9:24 PM
Check the "General Woodworking Forum". Maybe someone there makes what you need.

cheers, dee

Anthony Welch
07-18-2009, 9:57 PM
Colorado Heirlooms has some top of the line boxes. But what I do is use Lee's box macro and make my own.

Anthony

Joe Baker
07-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks Dee. I just posted a request in that section.

Anthony, what is: Lee's box macro ??

Kenneth Hertzog
07-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Joe
to what degree do you want these wood boxes
you want them cut out, assembled, and finished?
what type of lid do you want?
this project may be interesting.
Ken

Dee Gallo
07-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Joe, you posted in the Woodcarving Forum - you might get more responses from the General Woodworking Forum.

Also, here is Lee DeRaud's Corel macro: http://www.shaddysengraving.com/lase...fingerbox.html
(http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/HTML/fingerbox.html)

Joe Baker
07-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks Dee. I just reposted it in the correct area.

Kenneth, I want them assembled unfinished. I would like some with wood lids and some with acrylic. Im open on that though

Paul Franklin
07-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Joe

Please pm me with what you are looking for, I am in the process of developing a wood box line, all made in the USA.

Thanks

Paul

Steve knight
07-18-2009, 11:31 PM
I am pretty good at making solid wood hollow boxes on my machine. I bet I have made 400 or so. a bit of a waste of wood but it saves quite a bit of time making them.
what kinds of wood are you looking at? show me what your after. here are a few I have done.

Joe Baker
07-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Steve, here is a type of what i am looking for but i think your method will prob time consuming and expensive.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/cnc%20cases%20and%20boxes/headphonecase1.jpg

Steve knight
07-19-2009, 12:57 AM
my method is really fast and since there is no glueup it can really save the time. though you loose some of the cost to using more wood. it would take 3 minutes to hollow the box. more time to machine the wood to size and put the hinge on. but figure about 2.00 in wood depending on what is used. so maybe 10.00 each. more then imported but that's pretty low. may get it lower depending on how fast I can churn them out.

Joe Baker
07-19-2009, 4:48 PM
Steve, thanks for your input. Im not one of those people who wastes a persons time. I would like to find someone that makes them in the traditional way in a decent qty. I will look that way first. If no luck we can talk further. At that point it would prob be worth seeing detailed pictures of your work.

Mike Christen
07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
my method is really fast and since there is no glueup it can really save the time. though you loose some of the cost to using more wood. it would take 3 minutes to hollow the box. more time to machine the wood to size and put the hinge on. but figure about 2.00 in wood depending on what is used. so maybe 10.00 each. more then imported but that's pretty low. may get it lower depending on how fast I can churn them out.

Hi Steve

I would be interested in some sample pictures also.