PDA

View Full Version : New Turning

Jeff Ward
09-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Long time lurker and brand new turner. Thought I would intruduce my self and post a few pictures. I live in San Antonio Texas and have been woodworking for only the past 18 months. I just started turning and here are some pics of my first work.

Greg Heppeard
09-01-2004, 1:05 PM
Looking good....what kind of woods did you use? It looks like maple, mesquite and cherry from the pics but just wanted to make sure...I know that mequite can give you problems if it's dry, it's hard on your sharp edges.

Jeff Ward
09-01-2004, 3:48 PM
The middle one I know is mesquite. The bottom one is spanish cedar. The top one I don't know. It may be alder.

Dick Parr
09-01-2004, 6:31 PM
Very nice Jeff.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-01-2004, 9:15 PM
Very nice stuff Jeff. Those look MUCH better that most of the first time turnings many of us have cranked out. No firewood in that trio! ;) They look good..............nice form and finish as well. Keep on spinnin', looks like you are on the right track! :)

(When you get a minute Jeff, could you share the sizes of the bowls, and what you finished them with?)

Kurt Aebi
09-02-2004, 7:09 AM
Very Nice, Indeed!

Sparky Paessler
09-02-2004, 9:08 AM
Very nice! Keep up the good work.

Jeff Ward
09-02-2004, 1:05 PM
Very nice stuff Jeff. Those look MUCH better that most of the first time turnings many of us have cranked out. No firewood in that trio! ;) They look good..............nice form and finish as well. Keep on spinnin', looks like you are on the right track! :)

(When you get a minute Jeff, could you share the sizes of the bowls, and what you finished them with?)

They are all about 3 1/2 -4" high and 5-8 wide. They were all finished with Forsbys tung oil that I had laying around.