PDA

View Full Version : Armoire / Entertainment Center

Jim Kappel
07-18-2009, 6:06 PM
So I've been given an ultimatum by "someone" close to me to get this project done. Has lit quite a fire under me. I've spent so much time in the shop I think my legs are suffering from it (I'm a runner and I just pulled my hamstring - I think it's hours of standing on concrete that made me stiff and sore). Are the two linked??

Here are a few pics. The armoire consists of solid stock for the entire exterior (frame and panels). The interior has a plywood shelf on top, a torsion box on the bottom of plywood, and the insert inside will also be plywood with walnut edging.

The pics include the carcass so far and a few snapshots of the front doors dry fit and wiped down with mineral spirits.

I'm now in the pre-finishing investigation stage. I'm going to finish the panels before I glue up. Then it's on to the base trim and upper crown (I'll try and snap some shots of these as I go too). Then of course once the panels are glued up and the trim is all on it finishing time.

Jim

John Keeton
07-18-2009, 7:09 PM
Jim, we have gotten bits and pieces from the other threads on "research topics", and it is great to see this thread started in the Projects forum. Great progress and this is going to be an excellent build!

Jim Kappel
07-18-2009, 7:57 PM
Thanks, I'm looking forward to drawing on this great forum for ideas and a wealth of knowledge.

I'm a 6-7 year woodworker with the skills of a complete newbie in so MANY areas. I'm going to try to not be ashamed to come across "dumb" cause I just don't always know what I'm doing!

Jim

John Thompson
07-18-2009, 9:10 PM
Looking good.. Those book-matched inner panels on the doors are gonna look good. See ya next round of pictures.

Regards...

gary Zimmel
07-18-2009, 9:57 PM
Looks like you have a nice start to what will be
a sweet looking armoire Jim.

Keep the progress pics coming...