PDA

View Full Version : Zinsser SealCoat in California?

Chris Padilla
07-18-2009, 5:04 PM
Well, I called every store I could find within a 100 mile radius of my zip code and could NOT locate any of this stuff. Everyone has the BullsEye but not the SealCoat.

Then I noticed on the Zinsser website that they have a special SealCoat-CA...obviously specifically for California.

I guess the dewaxed SealCoat is more volatile (VOCs) than the non-dewaxed BullsEye shellac? Okay, whatever.

I will be straining the BullsEye through cheesecloth and diluting it 1:1 with some DNR and dewax it as much as possible that way. Any hints or clues or other ways anyone else has had success with??

SIGH....

Scott Holmes
07-18-2009, 5:23 PM
You can mail order de-waxed super blonde shellac and mix your own. It's better, dries faster and is a better vapor barrier. Costs less too.

You will find that the Bullseye shellac (a 3# cut by the way), still has the has the wax (as you know) and other stuff has been added to help it stay in solution and to prolong shelf life.

I don't think you will get more than about 3-4 oz. of dewaxed shellac out of the qt can.

Chris Padilla
07-18-2009, 9:02 PM
Well, I was planning to start finishing today. I can get dewaxed flakes...1 lb for $30...sigh....

glenn bradley
07-18-2009, 9:07 PM
I was at Lowe's and HD both today (in SoCal) and they have it on the shelves (?).

Jamie Buxton
07-18-2009, 9:15 PM
Woodcraft offers dewaxed shellac flakes for $23/lb. The web site also offers SealCoat, but I don't know if the store in San Carlos stocks it.

Chris Padilla
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Glenn,

Maybe I'll hit a couple more HD and Lowes Sunday and see if I can find it...I hit 6 stores close to me plus called several more...zippo. I did not call any of the borgs because that is futile but several of the smaller/indy stores did not have any in stock or simply did not carry it.

Chris Padilla
07-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Woodcraft offers dewaxed shellac flakes for $23/lb. The web site also offers SealCoat, but I don't know if the store in San Carlos stocks it.

The Sawdust Shop in Sunnyvale wants $30/lb for dewaxed flakes so I'd pay that before trucking up to San Carlos or Dublin to the Woodcrafts there. As I wrote above, I'll hit a couple more HD and Lowes and see if I can get lucky....

Scott Holmes
07-19-2009, 1:37 AM
http://www.shellacshack.com/

I bought 24 pounds of de-waxed Garnet from them about 2 months ago.

Great to do business with them. Top notch shellac.

Neal Clayton
07-19-2009, 2:31 AM
shellac.net is also a good source.

Marlin Williams
07-19-2009, 8:21 AM
I got my gallon from HD. It was on the bottom shelf and was covered up.

I really doubt anybody at a HD knows what it is and/or what it is for. So calling will get you a no just to get rid of you.

Scott Holmes
07-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Make sure you check the date on the can. Manufacturer claims 3 year shelf life I want my shellac fresh that's why I mix my own.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Everyone...wish me luck...got a few HD/Lowes lined up to visit this morning.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2009, 1:08 PM
Whoo-hooo!!!! Wouldn't you know it, I found some at the HD that I DETEST going to (they're unorganized, out of stock, messy, and register-deprived) even though it is the closest one to me. They had 5-6 1-gallon cans of SealCoat...all manufactured in June...all smiling at me! Wow...onto some finishing!!!

Chris Padilla
07-21-2009, 2:20 PM
Does anyone know if the SealCoat is considered a 3# cut right out of the can?

I went ahead and thinned it with DNA 1:1 and it sprays extremely well but I have a feeling it would spray fine without diluting....

Don Selke
07-21-2009, 2:27 PM
HD does not carry SealCoat here in the Phoenix area. Lows has it in quarts and gallons. As previously stated Chris, make sure that you check on the date stamped on the can. I have seen it with a date that mekes it 2 1/2 years old.
SealCoat is a #2lb. cut. I use it to seal everything prior to finishing and personally use a 1-1/2#cut.

Neal Clayton
07-21-2009, 3:26 PM
Does anyone know if the SealCoat is considered a 3# cut right out of the can?

I went ahead and thinned it with DNA 1:1 and it sprays extremely well but I have a feeling it would spray fine without diluting....

spray yes, if you brush i would thin it a bit.

i typically thin it by a third or so and don't bother spraying the sealcoat, just brush it on. i do spray finish coats of shellac and use a 2 pound cut for that.